Thinking of buying a mini Tiller and an Auger

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Butterscotch, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Butterscotch

Butterscotch LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I posted this on a different forum and this forum was recommended for my question. So here's my question:

I'm thinking of purchasing both a mini Tiller and an Auger online but not exactly sure which ones are the best type to buy.

I searched for tillers and came across the 'Mantis Tiller' which has a reasonable price. I also saw videos on youtube about it and it looks like it works good, but it also looks like it is unable to do big jobs, or long grass jobs. The area on my ranch that I would like to use it has long knee high thick grass growing, and I am thinking that the grass will tangle up on the blades of this tiller and stop it.

Does anyone have experience using the Mantis Tiller?

The Augers that I have searched for within a good price range basically gave me the the same results as the Tiller. They look like they work good but only on simple jobs. I want to use the Auger to dig holes for trees and for posts, but I dont want to have to struggle using it, as all the videos I saw looked like the people struggled to use them. I would also like to buy an Auger that I can use by myself and without a tractor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best Auger to purchase for the job?

Thanks

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Are you a homeowner or a business owner

3. Butterscotch

I am a homeowner

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just about any mini tiller and auger will work for you. I wouldn't spend too much to get the same results as a comercial line. Mantis is good, but I'm sure you can find a homelite or cheaper tiller.

Not sure what you mean about an auger. Is it one of those used on a drill for weeding?? Or one to use to dig post holes. Again though, anything would do.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Mantis. Honda might another one to look at. Honestly I think my first choice would be Mantis.

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

You really should take a weedwacker or idiot stick, and cut the grass, First! Then rake it off, and the mantis should serve your purpose well, as long as it isn't bermuda grass, johnson grass, or other aggressive southern grass. If it is, spray down with roundup a couple of times, a couple of weeks before cutting. If I was in your situation, I'd tell Cartman that there was buried treasure in that spot, and let him dig away!:laugh::laugh:

7. Butterscotch

I have a 34 acre Ranch that I want to get up as close to the existing fence as possible, and till that area which has never been tilled before, so that grass seems to be more wild and tangled already. I have a couple of tractors with tillers that my dad use to use on the fields for hay, but they are not able to till close enough to the fence that I want without pulling down the existing fence.

So one of my main problems with finding a mini Tiller is the size of the area that I want to till. And I'm afraid that the Mantis might be too slow for the entire job. Although, I probably will do sections at a time, I sure would like to get the job done quick and easy.

The type of an Auger for digging post holes. I have never used an Auger before. But here's one that I found on youtube as a presentation:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7aVNXp9U_6k

This is exactly what I am looking for but can't seem to find one anywhere online.

:laugh:Someone already told Cartman that there was buried treasure, and he got me to dig for him~

[Cartman: "Butters, I need you to pull out all the grass and dig 12 inches in the ground, along a 34 acre fence"]

[Butters: "Uh ah gee fellas, that's a lot of work for one person, but al-alright then"]

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Butters- The auger in the video is a neat little unit, there is a somewhat similar version available around here, I think its called a little beaver, or beaver something or other. My suggestion would be to do a google search, or search rental yards, and you may find your auger.:cool2:

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yes, little beaver is a great one man operation auger.

10. Butterscotch

Thanks DiyDave & jwingfield2k. This Auger is pretty awesome. And I found it on the Little Beaver site.

[​IMG]

I think for something like this though, I'm looking at around $5,000.00. If it came down to spending that much on what I know will be a good earth auger, I'm willing to take the plunge. And these Little Beavers definatly look like good augers, make no mistake.

I will have to do a more thorough search for Littler Beavers, but at least I know what I'm looking for now.