thinking of buying a new walker

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mr Dane, May 18, 2004.

1. Mr Dane

Mr Dane LawnSite Member

i am thinking of buying a walker can anyone give me some in sight on them servicability, parts availibility, durability thanks
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I love mine and will be buying another.
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I feel I can comment on these areas. So I'll go thru them one by one and see where we end up!
    Serviceabilty: the Walkers have many more moving parts than the average mower. Operator awareness and maintenance is of the upmost concern. Overlapping timed blades, many belts, about one zillion grease fittings.
    Parts Availability: This is going to depend on your local dealer. Some are better than others and this goes for any make of equipment. It depends on their distributor and if they are on good terms with them. ie.. They pay their bills. With todays way of doing business, almost any part can be ordered by way of computer and delivered the next day.
    Durability: Thats a tuff one! I dont know how you will be using the machine and under what conditions. I dont knwo you or your operators and how you treat a machine. But all in all, I would say its very durable, engine and hydro wise. BUT like I said, it has many moving parts and belts. All these moving parts and belts, equal wear items, which will eventually wear out.
    I think if you are cutting an average lawn in an average area for an average type customer, then there are better machines out there for less money that will need less maintenance for less money.
  4. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

xcopterdoc... very well said

IMO... Walkers are like the BMW's of mowers...
    FUN to Drive... EXPENSIVE on the upkeep!
    If YOUR the one using the walker... that's great!
    If your going to give it to the "HELP" to mow with... eeeeeiiiiiiiii
    I dread sending inexperienced guys out with walkers... I have one i use JUST for training.
    I find that 4,000 to 3/4 acre is a nice size for the Walker... any bigger and there ARE other machines that would be better suited.

I have 3 Walkers and just added a Great Dane Surfer to the mix this spring... After working on only Walkers for many years... It was a PLEASURE working on a SIMPLE machine like the Surfer. :D
    ... Still wouldn't give up the Walkers though :D

Good luck in your decision...

P.S. Go for the 20 hp... best spend $$$ wise in the long run
  5. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

There was a nice Brand new Shiny Walker sitting inside the Dealer today when I swung in to Inquire about an ExMark Hydro 36. 11K. The Dealer pointed out the main feature of the walker is the Excellent Bagger.
  6. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

How are overlapping blades a concern of maintenance?

It has 3 belts: 1 PTO, engine to jackshaft and a belt from jackshaft to hydros. If three is many than I have many dollars.

There are about 20, IMO about 6-8 of them really need attention every 25-30 hours the rest I let go around 100 hrs

I know what you mean, especially with a design life of only 5000 hrs.

I also know this is an old topic on the forum but it gets on a guys nerve when a good product gets bashed.
  7. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

Sorry about that 4 belts if it it GHS equipped. It is used to run the blower
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to run them. Experienced excessive down time and poor dealer support. Like some said on small properties they should be fine. We cut mostly large commercial. I found them to be unacceptable. Oh. And they are SLOW! Used to be several companies in my area used them. Currently only one still does. We used to sit around and compare horror stories about them.