Thinking of buying a SCAG Tiger Cub...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel_Howes, May 12, 2005.

1. Joel_Howes

Joel_Howes LawnSite Member

48" deck.

Not sure whether to get a 19 or 23 hp Kawasaki.

Want to get the clamshell bagger.

Anybody have any input?
  2. Joel_Howes

Forgot to mention...

Also thinking about an ExMark.

Would anybody recommend this brand over SCAG?
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I would opt for the Exmark over the Scag, but then I think they raised their prices significantly. I had a 23 hp 52 Cub and it cut well. Once the hours started to mount up it started having several strange electrical mysteries. Two dealers neither of which could fully fix. It ended up costing me a couple hundred for a wireing harness. Had some carb problems as well, which I atribute to the Kaw. Motor seemed to be wearing out by 1500 hundered well maintained hours using premium oil and filters. I talked to Scag and other reps many times and no one could fix the electrical glitches. I also owned a Tiger that had some electrical problems, lots multiple hydro pumps, drive shafts, and other expensive parts. I am done with Scag riders! Is there a Hustler Rep near you? You could get a Mini for the same or less money and get a bunch more for your dollar.

Good luck
  4. BMORRIS106

BMORRIS106 LawnSite Member

i owe the tiger with 52 deck and 23 hp kaw., it cuts great and have had no problems , I would definitely opt for the 23 horse but I would look at the hustler also. The tiger seems to be built well and looks to hold up over time, but if I would buy another i would look at hustler. Sorry dont no much about exmark but have seen some on trailers around here.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the tiger cub with a 20hp kohler and I am very pleased with it. I would go with a 23hp if I was going to be using the bagger

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag is a top mower, always get the more hp,
  7. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

SCAG's are tanks. They can handle a beating.
  8. Joel_Howes

Wow, that's good to know. Can I ask what year that model was purchased, so I can ask some hard-hitting questions of my dealer?

Thanks for everyone's input. I have never heard of Hustler equip. before... they aren't affiliated with Walker, are they? We rented a Walker ZT with a bagger for a day and it had issues with clogging. Whatta PITA.

It turns out there IS a Hustler distributor not TOO far from me... perhaps I'll check it out.
  9. LexingtonKYcutter

LexingtonKYcutter LawnSite Member

I would recommend the Exmark. Heard the new Scag Decks arent cutting as well now that they had to change them.
  10. SeacoastDesignsL&L

SeacoastDesignsL&L LawnSite Member

I just bought the tiger cub with the 19 kawi. When I was deciding what mower to buy it came down to the scag or the exmark. They are pretty equall machines it just comes down to personal opinion and dealer service. The scag dealer was alot more helpful and offered alot more help to commercial businesses if the equipment broke down. So far I have been very happy with the mower, it cuts great and has plenty off power. The 23 hp would be nice but I wasn't willing to spend and extra 2 grand.