1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a skid and need some help

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by f5obsessor, May 2, 2006.

1. f5obsessor

f5obsessor LawnSite Member

Currently, my partners and I are considering purchasing a skid coming up very soon. We are trying to start up a lot/land clearing, new install landscaping only, sodding, and irrigation company. I was thinking getting something with tracks so it could run more in the rain/ wet conditions but I really have no clue. We have rented nontracked deeres and a couple bobcats but they seem underpowered. What would you all suggest? Size, make, tracked, and is this a profitable move to be making. We are only hoping to spend somewhere in the 25-35,000 range so it will be used. Thanks for the help.

We also already have a lawncare/landscape company but want to move more in the direction of new installs and get away from weekly maint.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A Cat 236 or 246/8 might be just the ticket for you as far as Cat goes. You should be able to find a slightly used 248 for around $35K easily, it won't be brand new, but if you get something with 200-300 hours on it, you'll save yourself a bundle.

BTW, a 248 will sling the tracks well, I've heard some testimonials that they have no problems with steel tracks.

3. f5obsessor

Let me clear something up by tracked I meant multi terrain loaders if I threw anyone off. Should I go with a skid and just get the drive on tracks? Thanks for the quick response!

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

An MTL will cost you a little more, for $35K you'd have to buy a smaller MTL and it would have to be used. I think you can get a Cat 247B with around 600 hours, depending on options, for around $35K, but it would be a long shot to get something for $25K. I would suggest a larger skid steer with steel tracks. They'll give you the tractive effort you need with much less cost. MTL's are really only usefull if you need the tracks 100% and you're going over paved or delicate surfaces quite a bit. If not, steel tracks on a wheeled machine would work just fine for land clearing.

5. f5obsessor

Thanks for the info! This is really shooting me in the right direction.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean by landclearing ?

What we call landclearing you pretty much need a excavator be it a mini to fullsize. Have you thought about getting a mini ex too ?

In my mind a skid steer is pretty limited a mini ex can dig your trenches and pick up rocks etc. If you want to clear land like removing scrub brush a mini ex with a thumb can save hours of frustrations. You also said your working in wet conditions so I assume you do dig drainage trenches.

Before you go out and buy a skid see what machine will make your jobs the easiest.

7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

What Bobcat models do you currently have?

8. f5obsessor

We dont have any as of now but have rented some.

9. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

you must have rented a verry small deere i had a 246 and my 270 deere made it look like a toy i have a 9 ft dozer blade on my 270 it pushes like a small dozer but the new deeres have differnt motors my 270 has the same motor our 555 crawler loader has

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If your looking for power try the CASE 440CT tracked machine or the 440 wheeled machine. The wheeled machine is 85 hp gross with a 2200 pound ROC. I just ordered one with cab and heat all options except high flow and AC for 34K.