1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a used mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Drober1, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Drober1

Drober1 LawnSite Member

A friend of mine bought a 717 Z-Track John Deere with a 19HP KW motor with a 48 inch deck last year. He never started a business and it only has 50 hours on it. He is asking about $5,500 for the mower and I was wondering if anyone would share their experiences with this type of mower. I am pretty much sold on the mower, but I thought I better check with more experienced people, and get their opinions. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Holy.....

You can get the same or bigger, maybe not Deere, but a name brand for L O T S less, NEW! Much less used.

3. TLC4Carolina

TLC4Carolina LawnSite Member

If you are looking to spend around $5500, then go to your nearest Exmart dealer and look at a 52" Hydro Walkbehind. Put a two wheel velke on it and you are in business. I have seen though's things out mow Z's. If you are just starting, I personally would recommend a walkbehind as your first purchase. IMHO

Good luck in the business.

4. TLC4Carolina

TLC4Carolina LawnSite Member

I ment to say Exmark dealer.:dizzy:

5. Drober1

Drober1 LawnSite Member

Everywhere I have been to look for new zero radius mowers, I find that they range from $6500 and up & UP. What should I look for? The mower that I mentioned earlier, lists new for $7400 at my local dealer. I thought that $5500 was a steal for the same mower with only 50 hrs. on it. I have looked at the Exmark website and I see none of the commercial mowers were even close to $5500. What should I be looking for?

Thanks for your comments.

6. ElephantNest

from La.

If it's Deere you want, that's probably a good deal. I know a 48" exmark hydro TTHP is about $4800.00 , a 60" is more likely around what you are wanting to spend. I'd prefer a TTHP over a rider, less stress on the back.

7. Drober1

Drober1 LawnSite Member

The only true reason that I have for wanting a deere is the dealership is less than 5 miles from my house. all of the other dealers in my immediate area are small mom and pop operations that showcase a few different mowers like Burton and Grasshopper. They can order anything you need but they do not stock much at all. Are their any mowers out their that I should stay away from?

Thanks

8. ElephantNest

from La.

Probably burton and grasshopper. lol

Really not sure of the quality of either, so that was a joke, kinda. I would suggest exmark, scag, lesco, maybe even a toro if availability is an option. Just trying to save you some $$, not trying to talk you out of buying the Deere. I just feel that you can do better.