thinking of buying a used scag sw48. what to look at?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by facework84, Oct 23, 2011.

1. facework84

facework84 LawnSite Member

I have no mechanical background. This was my first year in lawn care, and I started with an old Murray mower that I spent way more in repairs on, than what I paid for it. So i'm slightly worried about buying another used mower.

Its an older mower, it is clean but is sort of high on hours and has had a lot of parts replaced. Should I just take it to the dealer and pay them to inspect it for me?
  2. tarradane

tarradane LawnSite Member

I have a few Scags, 2 wb and 2 zero turn riders. I assume you don't have a lot of lawns yet cause your just starting out. Any old mower is going to need parts and not be as reliable. I would run it and see how easily it starts, listen for any bearing noise in the blade spindles. Does it have enough power or burn,leak oil, etc. Does it have an electric blade clutch? They run about $ 300 when they fail. Also is it belt driven or hydro ( hydro parts are real expensive) Just make sure you get a good price and be prepared to have to replace parts occasionally.
  3. weapons of grass destruction

weapons of grass destruction LawnSite Member

If you know how to do a compression test do that.
    I would see about taking it to a dealer.
    oil leaks and turn blades on and see how it sounds as far as spindle bearings.
  4. facework84

facework84 LawnSite Member

thanx for the replies. if i buy i will let you know how it goes
  5. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

lots of parts replaced is good. High hours isnt bad if it was maintained and the price is right. engine, pumps and wheel motors $$$$ if you dont have any mechanical skills or know nothing how spindles sound, how to check compression. i would ask if you could take it to a dealer or someone that knows how to inspect unit.