Thinking of buying a used skidsteer, will plywood help save turf

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by clydesdale, May 13, 2008.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I would use this mostly on my personal property. The only disadvantage to the skid is that it can rip up turf. I have several old 4x8 sheets of plywood. Would laying down the plywood on the turf work to save the lawn? Granted I know this is not the most productive and I would have to get out at times and move the wood. But I thought that having the plywood at the start and finish line of the jobs, where I would be turning, would help save the lawn. What do you think?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

It works better than a tracked skid steer, I've done it lots, the trick is to use 1" or multiple sheets screwed together and and spike them into the ground with 12" landscape spikes, then make sure to remove them after the end of the day to prevent the grass from dying.

3. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

That's good advice. I know from experience that 5/8" or thinner does not work. One more thing to be aware of is how you spike them down. Try and keep the spikes towards the outside of the plywood because if you turn on one you will gouge out your tire or rip the spike out of the plywood. I do spike down my rubber mat (conveyor belt) using tent pins.

4. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

Buy a used rc-50 and some extra turf tracks, there is nothing that will come close, I am in the market for one myself.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

your talking about just driving across a yard right?...because if you want to put them under your tires when you are trying to dig it wont work

why do you need a loader for your personal property if you are worried about tearing up your yard? Most guys that just have them own a farm where damage to the pastures/fields doesn't matter...if you are worried about ripping up grass you can get a nice used loader tractor a lot cheaper then a skidloader

6. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I want it for snow removal, firewood pallet lifting and the ability to run attatchments. The skid is more compact. The tractor would be more gentle on lawn, but pretty bulky.

7. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Remember, even a tractor can damage the lawn. It is true that a tractor is cheaper than a skid steer, and easier to service. However, I have known a few people who chose skid-steers for home use because they fit better in the garage or shed. Don't forget that you can prevent some damage when your bucket is empty if you pop a wheelie before turning.