1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying John Deere 737 Z-Trak...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Raymond S., Jun 3, 2006.

1. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I am brand new to the site and I am interested in buying a new John Deere zero turn. I have received a quote from a local dealer here in Southwest Michigan for the 737 w/ 54" deck for $7650. and the 757 for $8300. Does anyone have any input they could give me for these models, or suggestions for a different brand that may be better. I am going to purchase this for personal use only for 2 acres +/-. As of now I am leaning towards the 737. If I do decide to purchase, I will be selling a 2004 LT180 w/ 48" deck w/ 58hrs. Stored inside under cover, excellent condition. ...Any info would be appreciated, thanks again.
  2. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

If you feel like taking a 10 hour drive to eastern Pa. I will sell you my John Deere 727-A with a 54"deck AND a trac-vac system for about $8,000. The 727-A ZTR only has 40.5 hours of run time on it as of 6/03/06. The Trac-vac was only used on two leaf jobs this past spring. It could be worth the drive to save on the sales tax and you get a trac-vac system with the mount for the ZTR at a lower cost. There is nothing at all wrong with either machines. I just need to sell them to get a larger machine. This set-up sounds like it would be perfect for you. My e-mail is Bluerangersedge@msn.com-cell phone # is 484-645-0467. Please let me know if you have an interest in this offer. Oh, and I believe the warrenty form JD is transferable. There should be around 20-22 months left on the warrenty.

D and H Seasonal Services
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The JD Commercial Ztracs are WONDERFUL mowers and the 7 Iron and 7 Iron II decks are amazing. You will be happy with it, BUT those prices are high (UNLESS that includes your state sales tax), at least they are for them here in NC (but the commercial mowers are also made here about 65 miles from me). I can get the 737 for around $6500 and just bought 2006 two (2) 757 60" decks for I believe it was $7550 out the door. Also DO NOT get the 54" as it does not have enough trim edge, step up to the 60" deck.
  4. Raymond S.

What do you mean by "trim edge"? How much is it to step up to the 60" deck? Also, I wonder if there is a way to do a distant purchase through a dealer down there. Thanks for the help.
  5. Raymond S.

I appreciate the offer, however, I don't really have a need for the Vac and I made the drive to Philly once about a year ago to pick up a car, I vouged I would never do it again, One heck of a long day. Thanks again though.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The trim edge is the side of the mwoing deck that is not discharging that has enough room between the mower frame and tires that you can get close to the edges of say buildings or landscaping so you don't have as much to trim with the trimmer (weedeater). In the 737 the 60" deck is only a couple hundred more dollars. BUT I'd get the 757 60" for the money because it also has a 25HP engine instead of the 23HP the 737 has.

It probably wouldn't save you much to buy here after you paid either shipping or drove here and back to pick it up.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with what MMLawn says. Definately go with a 757 w/60" deck. Where in southwest Michigan are you? You can get a 757 60" deck for about that same price here in Illinois at the right dealer. I didn't pay over 7600 for my last 757. Depending on how close you are to Chicago, I bet I know a commercial JD dealer who would even deliver to you.:)
  8. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I would not purchase the 757 Z-TRAK unless you wanted a great mower with lots of power to spare! Comfortable, Very Reliable, durable, Excellent cut, and the pleasure of owning a awesome product! But you already own a Deere so I am sure that you already know these things!
  9. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

757 owner here. Go with 60" because of trim or step down to the 717 or 727.

Good luck with your purchase.
  10. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I just started mowing with a 737 54 inch this year. Things that I really like about this mower over my exmarks is that a very comfortable seat, height adjustment is great..just a turn of a dial, hydos are very smooth, cuts well in wet grass...both the exmarks and Deere leave great cuts but if I was to buy another new mower it would be John Deere hands down.