Thinking of buying lesco mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Jul 27, 2003.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at a lesco 60 inch 25 hp Lesco mower. Price was $6700. That is alot cheaper than anything around. I was wondering how they are for getting parts for. I do my own repairs other that internal engine problems, but need something that I can get parts for.

2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Around here their parts are easy to come by. I think their new Ztwo is doing much better than their previous models. I go by one of our Lesco service centers rather frequently and I haven't seen one of the new ones being worked on yet. I'm definately considering one of them if I get another ZTR. Good luck.

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk with the dealer. Parts at my dealer are usually on hand or shipped in the next day. This morning was talking with another LCO who has a coil that went out on his 4 year old 36 Lesco. Dealer can not get it in till Monday afternoon. He picks up a loaner tomorrow morning so he can stay caught up. I guess it would all depend on your dealer.

Good Luck
    Rhett

4. lightning01svt

lightning01svt LawnSite Member

Don't buy a lesco! Home Depot is have a sale on Muray's :D. Do some searches on Leso on this site, and you will find the info you are looking for. Good luck.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

up here in our area, Home Depot sells John Deere, so I suppose there junk also??

6. lightning01svt

John Deer is sold in all Home Depots. I was comparing the Murray, because what was explained to me recently, MTD makes Lesco. Along with Club Cud et. If I was told incorrectly, this would not be a good comparison. I would like to view John Deer as a little better than an MTD, so this is why I used the Murray line.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

but if you do a search on this site you will find alot of folks suggest that whatever H/D sell it not a very good brand LOL

8. lightning01svt

So true, but I owned a Scott's mower when I first started out 3yrs ago. This was when they first converted to a JD Chase, but painted orange:D. Say what you will, but the Scott's finished cut ate up my Lesco's cut far as appearance. So I can't slam JD as easily as others, but I owned a Lesco. This is not second hand info. See if your dealer will let you demo a Lesco, and then see if you can demo another major competitor's mower. I understand budget is an issue for you as well as all the rest of us, but I promise you, you will be better off in the long run.

Tomorrow, call around and pretend you have a Lesco to trade in on another major brand. See if you have any better luck than the responses I got back. Compare the number of dealers for the other brands in your area and the Lesco. Price is the big issue. That is why I bought my Lesco last year. It was 2K cheaper than the JD that I was looking at at the time. Like you, I was saying no way am I going to put out 2k more for the same thing. If I only knew then what I know now. :D

Good luck on what ever you choose.

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

SVT, Which Lesco did you buy? I have a Exmark and a Lesco. The Lesco cut is not as good as the Exmark but still is respectable. Though the Lesco is much more sparten then the other, it still has been a dependable durable mower. Don't believe I would buy one at full price as they are in the same ball park as allot of other manufacturers but they do have some great sales in the off season. I paid 800 for a demo 52 belt with 17 electric Kawasaki with 8 hours on it.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

lightningsvt--what is your advice for lawnman? are you telling him to buy a murray rider instead of the lesco?

so far all you've said is that, do a search and your scotts had a prettier cut than your lesco. oh yeah, and try to trade it and see what happens.

what lesco unit did/do you have? I'd like to see your scotts out cut my lesco 48/14/belt.

rhett--where am I when the pass out those deals?;)

GEO