Thinking of changing my business name and I will tell you why.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnsonLawn, Feb 4, 2007.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering changing my business name and would like your opinions if I have valid concerns. I have been in business for 5 years now and have been using Johnson Lawn & Landscape as my business name from day one. During this time, I have had many people come up and ask me if I am related this guys company or are you the same Johnson from that town, and have even had potential customers call me thinking they were calling the other guy (who is in a different town). I know the name Johnson is VERY common, but I would really like to have some separation from the "Johnson" crowd at this point and have a name that will give my company some individuality. I have a good reputation and don't want to get confused with another (very common) Johnson company that may be in my core area. I looked in the phone book today and found 5 other Johnson this or that companies out there. I was thinking of going with MRJ Landscape Management as my new name. So, my question is, do you think that my concerns are valid for a name change, how does the new name sound and is it to late in the year to make this change for this season. I feel if I am going to make a move it should come soon. Thanks for any advice guys.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I changed mine from J & H Lawn Service to J & H Outdoor Services to reflect the more services that I provided than just lawn service.

I did this about 6 years into my business.

Yes, I would do whatever it takes to set you apart from the pack.

If Johnson is that common, then guess what, you're just another Johnson.

Change the name.

Don't worry about your current customers.

You can let them know why, or just send them a mailing 60, 30 and 15 days before you change it, so people can remember.

If you're doing only residential, then it probably won't be quite the issue as it is with some accounting departments for commercial properties.

You'll get some checks with the old name on it for 2-3-4-5 months, but the bank will usually still cash them.

You'll have to change the name on the checking account at the bank as well, along with any credit cards you might carry in the company name.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

yes absolutely, change your name.

Some may not agree with me but I will say it anyway, "Take Your Time"

Most definitely take your time with this issue. Their are many factors to consider when choosing a permanent name. It has a lot to do with marketing and the direction you want to bring your company. What ever you eventually decide to call yourself, you should consider the fact that your name should PROJECT a strong positive and most important a Profeshional image. It is not just a name to identify you, it serves other important functions. A strong positive company image inspires confidence in your company, your name is the first impression it should tell the clients that you know what you are doing and you will treat them fairly. I would avoid just your letters of your name that is weak, Seeing your name is the first contact people will have with you before you are even contacted it is important for your name to communicate as much confidence and professionalism as possible. Think confident and bold, given the importance of a good name and what a name does justifies as much time as you need to decide what it should be. don't rush, think...try a few, bounce them around friends and family. I could go on and on and on.....

4. Stillwater

Hey do you have a red truck and take care of treetop condos in kingston?

5. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Id say to do it for sure. Its hard enough to get your name out there without having to deal with all that.Theres a reason that major brands defend themselves the way they do.By the way its a great time to do this as you can add it to your welcome its spring letter.You know you need to do it so go ahead!

6. JohnsonLawn

Nope. I do have a red truck though. Ya see what I mean, this is exactly why I need to separate myself from the rest of those damn "Johnsons:. By the way, that company is Johnson Landscape Service Inc. out of Abington.

7. JohnsonLawn

Very good point. Another one I was considering is Elite Landscape Management. Thanks guys and keep your opinions coming.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have something valid to consider. I have a similiar problem here with my business name. You can see what mine is in my sig. line, and there is another guy in town named Jason, but they use their LAST name as their business name. You would think all is ok? nope! I get about a call a week for HIM. Mostly due to the fact that they do not have their number listed in the yellowpages nor any sort of listing in the white pages. People see Jason, and they assume I'm their guy.

I'm not changing anything though, just because there is an obvious name difference, just because they are too ignorant to LIST their number is not going to make me change my name. It is irritating feilding the calls though, and I don't give the callers their number anymore, they should figure that out on their onw, and hopefully if they can't they can call ME back and ask for my services.

9. Stillwater

Your name and logo is exactly what I tried to explain in my earlier post about choosing names reading your name and logo together tells me you do full service lawn care and the bluish green water drops indicate you might do irrigation as well and you did not have to spell it all out.....ya know what I mean?

10. Stillwater

some ideas
    Scalps a lot lawn care
    U grow it I mow it
    No rolling just mowing
    When I get their landscaping
    Got Grass
    shysters lawn care
    paymenow grounds care
    tail light guarantee lawn care