Thinking of constructing a display area.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JohnnyRoyale, May 5, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering if any of you have constructed a display garden etc outside of your shops to highlight your work, and use as a sales tool.

My office and yard is located on a street primarily occupied by model cottage builders like Viceroy Homes, Linwood, Normerica Post and Beam, etc, as well as 2 huge boat dealers, and a massive motorcycle/atv/watersports accessories discounter (to name a few). In fact, my office was a sales model for a company that built cottages that no longer is in business. I knew I had to buy the property for its location, and proximity to my house-2 minutes.

People driving down this street have the cash, cuz everything on it costs bigtime. The demographic of buyers travelling this road couldn't be any better-35+ people with big disposable income.

Part of my business is commercial, and that part of it is doing just fine. A couple of years ago, i decided the resi design/build market is what I truly enjoy and have been getting back into it. We are a Viking Pool dealer, and have installed a number over the last couple of years, along with the complimenting landscapes around them and would like to do more of this type of work.

I'm thinking if I had a place I could invite a prospect to allowing them to experience the pools, taste the salt water, see what kind of work we're capable of first hand, I would have the upperhand on most other dealers. I have been toying with he idea of making a 50-75K investment in the front of our property, showcasing an inground pool, waterfeature, flatwork, planting, lighting, woodwork, etc, to use as a sales tool, to help turn inquiries into sales.

Has anyone done this? And how effective is it as a sales tool, and what advice can you give me-please dont hold back-tell me I'm on crack, if thats what your thinking.

2. JohnnyRoyale

bumpity bump bump...any thoughts?

3. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Ocassionally, we have a few leftover block from jobs and we incorporate them into different displays in our retail area. By doing so, people see the material and we have been overwhelmed with requests for hardscaping.

Currently, we are in the process of installing a patio and seating wall at our garden center. I can only imagine the response after it is completed.

4. JohnnyRoyale

Does it help you sell jobs? A patterned concrete guy I know set up a bunch of different patterns and colours in front of his shop, and clients come by to pick their color and pattern. It validates you as a business, and gives clients a real sense of the outcome as oposed to looking at pictures and catalogues. I'm thinking it can only impress enough to sell more jobs easier.

5. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

it doesn't hurt having it there. i think once we get everything finished, we will be swamped with requests. the good thing for us is the fact that the nearest supplier has a small yard and only has room to stock material and no display area. they are supplying the needed material for our hardscaping display at no charge to us. if their customers are interested in seeing a finished product, they will refer them to us to view the display and in turn we will get the majority of their leads.

6. JohnnyRoyale

Good point. I'm going to approach some of them for discounts or donations. They donate their products for home shows, this wouldnt be any different.

7. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

good luck...

8. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to see pics of your set ups your talking about.

9. JohnnyRoyale

I dont have a setup yet. Just a concept. Still working on the final drawings to submit to the municipality.

10. rachael24

rachael24 LawnSite Member

If you can post the drawing when you finish them, that would be great!