1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of expanding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rhino42n, May 20, 2007.

1. rhino42n

rhino42n LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

We are in our third year of business and things are going very well. My partner and i both work full time and do LC on the side(night and weekends).

We are thinking of expanding and thought about buying a stump grinder,
    Anyone have any experience doing this? What is the average charge for a removal? has it been profitable. and is it a good idea.

Like i siad just thinking about it and starting to research so thought i would ask you guys for imput first.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

In my area there's no money in it. I've had a guy come knocking on my door looking for work and did some stumps for me for almost nothing.
  3. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

We have a stump grinder, it is useful if you are cutting down a lot of trees, but if you are just doing stumps I can't see many people just getting you for that. I think in our time of doing them we have only had a half dozen or so that we just ground the stump. We do a lot of stump grinding on stumps that we remove the tree... Most tree cutters do that...
  4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought about this service before but one of the problems you'll encounter is the fact it's priced by the square inch. Just like flooring, it's easy to quote and be in business. Anything that's easy to quote tends to suffer because of the low barrier to entry. Same as lawnmowing, it's easy for a kid to figure out. In my area, it's a poor mans business.

I've chosen services that are hard to quote and have had great success profit wise. Stucco repairs, vinyl deck replacement, painting, parking lot sweeping, parkade sweeping, commercial lawncare, landscaping, snow removal are my main services. I've come to this after 25 years of research. :)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Stumps may not be the most profitable thing, but I know a tree company owner and he hates doing it (due to the low profit) and tries hard to get out of doing it. And that seems to be the norm. There should be some sort of market for just stump grinding.

All in all, I would go toward adding more profitable services, like treatments, landscaping.
  6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

There is quite a few stump grinders around here. One that I know of appears to be doing pretty good. I think it would be a decent add on service.