1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of Forming a LCO Association, need help!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Jan 29, 2005.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

For the past couple of years, a few of my close LCO buddies have been talking about forming a local LCO association. That's about as far as it's gotten. Just talk. I'd really like to get it off the ground this spring. There's 50,000 people in my county, and at least 60 LCO's. How do I go about forming one? Any help would be appreciated, such as links to websites of existing associations, annual dues, egos, etc.....
  2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing you will have to do is put together an agreement with a drug manufacturer. That way you will be able to purcase zoloft or paxil in bulk. This should help reduce the level of paranoia that most LCO's have when it comes to sharing information with people in their local area. "he just wants my accounts I know he does" :D
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed, if only it could be done, aah I can see the union meeting already
    First topic of the evening, rates, second topic of the evening "RATES"
    THIRD TOPIC OF THE EVENING "RATES", next topic of the evening lowballer scrubs (RATES) THIS WOULD WORK WELL!!!! :dizzy: :realmad: :sleeping: payup :help:
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My first question is, "what is the purpose/mission in forming one?

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Network!! I realize there's alot of pro's and con's in having one. Homebuilders and Realtors in my area have associations. Just thought maybe it was time for LCO's to form one. I ran across this website doing a search. www.thecgma.com
  6. I too am interested in a lco assoc. and the web site you found has not been updated since 2001 and my e-mail to them a couple of months ago went un answered. one reason for an assoc. is insurance rates you get some discounts when you are members of assoc. there is strength in numbers such as home builders assoc which I joined with a friend of mine it helps and as we all know every little bit helps add to the bottom line.
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Will Bobby's dream of a union be realized at last? ;)
  8. stumper1620

Honestly, I think associations would be a great thing to have, strength in numbers. reduced insurance thru a group effort, set standards for service and service pricing guides, Assistance thru other members in emergancy situations, perhaps even reduced equipment prices thru the association with participating dealers. This is a nice thought, goes right along with what i've read in bobby geddes post several times. unity in all aspects of lawn care could reap great rewards. the future of your family business may depend on it.
    The reality of seeing this happen seem very slim when reading responses to unification in any manner within the lawn service business.
    start a nation wide association, I'll try it.
  9. stumper1620

We must of had the same thinking at the same time. :cool2:
  10. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Ohio has three professional associations for the Green Industry.
    Ohio Landscape Association, Ohio Lawn Care Association and The Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association. They all are very active putting on seminars, shows,etc. Group rates on some services (phone, medical, worker comp, etc.) are available. Some of the business members will offer discounts to other members, and they are all also involved in keeping an eye on local, state and federal legislation and its impact on their members. I belong to two of the associations and there has never been any talk of setting rates or stealing others business, just professionals talking about issues in the landscape industry. All of the associations have memberships made up of solo operations up to multi -million dollar companies. The two I belong to,have publications that are full of relevent and up to date information. If your state has any associations like this you should look into joining them.