Thinking of going 72"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djfanintn, Jan 25, 2010.

1. djfanintn

djfanintn LawnSite Member

Looking at jumping into a 72" ztr this spring. I cut 5 acres at least once a week and some times more depending on how much it's growing. I keep the bermuda at 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 inches. No there is no sprinkler system installed (I wish there was).

So I am leaning towards a Bad Boy 72" mower. I'd love a diesel but I think that is out of my budget this year so I am looking at the gas models.

I have a choice between a 27 HP Kawasaki and the 35 HP Vanguard. Is one better than the other and if so why????

2. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

You do not say what you use now. What do you use now? And is this the only property you have to mow? With these answers, you can get some more Pro's & Con's. And is this 5 acres wide open spaces?

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Is the 27hp Kawasaki the liquid-cooled, 745cc FD750D or the new 852cc FX751V?

4. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

The 27 kawi is liquid cooled. I have ran both engines on 60" decks and the 35 Is so far beyond that kawi that i wish they didnt even offer it. If you keep it overly maintained then MAYBE it will be enough engine for you but if you ever plan on reselling it or mowing anything even remotely tall i would go w/ the 35. I have ran several w/ the 32 vanguard 72" and that even has plenty of power for pretty much any condition and the 35 is almost 100cc's more. In my honest opinion get the 35 and you will love it.

5. djfanintn

djfanintn LawnSite Member

I had a JD 2320 tractor with a 7 iron belly mower. Nothing but good things to say about the 7 iron deck. But that tractor got sold about a month ago.

I also have an Exmark 48" ztr with 19 hp which I enjoy using but it's kind of small for cutting 5 acres. For the most part it is pretty wide open and level and yes it is my personal yard.

From time to time I do cut other properties

6. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

In my opinion, if I didn't have more than 5 acres, I wouldn't even think about a 72". My 61" TT will handle 5 acre tracts all day long. With the quality of cut, it wouldn't be worth going 72", in my opinion.

7. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

For personal use the 27 should be just fine. I have a 72" with a 27 hp Kohler that has plenty of power for routine maintenance, and it is used commercially.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, if the biggest deck you're using now is a 48" I would recommend making
    a stop at the 60" deck size first, there's a learning curve involved when increasing
    deck size and if you're going from 48" to 72" all of a sudden that might not work
    as well as intended.

Now if you're already proficient with a 60" that's another story, you might even know the answer.

9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the kawi. I've got that motor on my 61'' bobcat and love it, plenty of power, and it would power a 72'' fine as well. Generally more people speak of positive experiences with their kawis more so than the vanguards

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

This is very true! I went from using a 52" up to a 72" a few years ago, and didnt do so well with it right away, a 72' is a huge deck and will scalp like crazy if you do not know how to handle it, unless you are doing fairly open flat spaces, I would go with a 60/61", these are much more forgiving than a 72".