1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of going back to walk behinds. Has anyone else done this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We do 4 U, Jun 9, 2003.

1. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Thinking of giving up my 52" Super Z and going back to large area walk behinds. It is not the Super Z, that is one great mower. I just think, for me, walk behinds are better. I was going to look at the 52" and 60" Exmark TT. Does anyone here use these mowers? Any feedback? I am also thinking of going with a Hustler Super Walk Behind.

Thanks in advance.

PS, post up Switchless
  2. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

I have the Exmark 60" TT. I specialize in small residential lawns. The mower is fast, cuts very nicely, and fits under and through low limbs and bushes. (You can only duck so low on a ZTR rider). When I do get out onto the larger more open lawns the width of the deck comes in handy. It isn't nearly as fast as a ZTR but for my needs, it suits me well.
  3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why not keep the ZTR, never know when you may get somthing big.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The 52" Ultracut deck 23Kohler With double High Lifts Simply rock's. It's 200LB Clutch Pull's The Mower threw The Thick stuff with ease. The 60" Takes down Big areas Like It's a walk in the Park!
    PS Look at all the updates On the 02 And Newer Turf tracers. They are Lazer walkbehine's.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Here try the ECS.

6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would keep the Z , you may need it some day.If I was going for a big walk behind I would probably go with that new hustler.I havent used one but those new controls seem awesome
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Gees what I nice machine. Oh, what are those metal things you have to hold on each grip? They sure look like they’d hurt your hand. Too bad you didn’t have to have those silly safety levers to hold. Oh, looks like I need both hands on the controls to run the machine. You mean if I want to slow down to a crawl, hold the controls with one hand and move branches out of the way as I mow with the other hand, I can’t??
    Do I have to stop the machine and put it in neutral to pick up garbage, or can I stop the machine with one hand and just pick stuff and move it, moving the machine too? You mean I can’t “instantly” change speed, while mowing from 0 to top end or any where in between?? You mean your machine doesn’t track straight backwards, unless you carefully use both hands to adjust the backward tracking??? You mean your machine doesn’t automatically make a perfect zero turn, with one wheel going forward and other going backward just by moving a bar???
    Golly, your machine doesn’t seem to do any of these things. A Hustler WB does them “All”. Oh well……
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, been there, done that...... Back to WB's. Yes, I'm now happy, too:D
  9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a Toro 52' w/b last fall for about $4500.00 new with turf trac sulkie. It has a 20 hp Kohler, hydro, t-bar, bagger. The SFS deck goes through anything wet or dry without clumps. The high lifts do a good quality job. Need to find a way to put weight on the front. It's a little light in the front end especially going up an incline. Any suggestions?
  10. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

Get the 52"TT w/ECS and the 23hp Kohler, you wont regret it!

You dont need both hands on the controls and it is so comfortable, you'll forget just how big it is.

Do not waste your money on the Gator blades though, the aint worth spit on this machine.