1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

thinking of going big

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brownservices, Aug 4, 2006.

1. brownservices

brownservices LawnSite Member

Does anyone here have an idea of what to charge to cut a large tract of about 100 acres or more with a 15 foot bat-wing with some obstacles that will need trimming? Have tractor and will have to get bat-wing. Property belongs too a large company with several locations to be acquired. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
  2. brownservices

anybody out there with any ideas???:confused: :help:
  3. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I started doing this in 1985 with a 55HP Kubota and a Rhino 15' batwing. Found out that more HP was better as some areas I cut grew over 4' in between the monthly mowings.

If you have sufficient HP you should be able to cut anywhere from 9-15 acres per hour depending upon the terrain. Of course if the terrain in pretty uneven with overgrown brush you will cut less per hour.

Your costs to operate per hour along with equipment costs, amortization, taxes, etc., should enable YOU to come up with a price for the total job.

I know that I started out cutting like this for only $10 per acre at an airfield and cut most areas at 10 acres per hour. A few years later my contract was up to $25 per acre. Most companies around here will pay far more for operating costs and equipment capitalization costs than you will where you are.

Check around your area for going rates for similar work to get an idea of what the market can bear. Don't underprice yourself. That would be a sure way to go out of business.

Good Luck
  4. brownservices

Thanks for the info. So far I have a 70 HP ZETOR 4wd with loader and if things went well would go larger later.
  5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Servis-Rhino, (Seguin,Texas) makes some real good mowers for what you plan on doing. I used to check out the equipment auctions for good used ones around Houston to Austin. You have plenty of HP to mow without too much strain on the tractor. I went to 72HP turbocharged CaseInternationals and later to Kubota 80HP 4WD tractors to do our military contracts. Mowing several 300+ acre fields every month was good money and good time spent on the tractors. I was smart enough to buy aircon units after the first couple of years of contracting. That made all the difference to my health and comfort.

Good luck to you.
  6. brownservices

Wanted to upgrade to aircon myself before starting but to expensive without guarenteed contracts.
  7. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

If I did my math correctly that is some very good money!!