1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

thinking of going enclosed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gcbailey, Jun 9, 2012.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Right now our current lineup is a 5x12 2' mesh sides (Leonard), 6x16 2' mesh (Kaufman), and a 6x10 (???) that we primarily use to haul off brush, shrubs, etc...

I'm thinking about adding to the fleet or replacing the 5x12 with an enclosed trailer. I haven't really looked at brands before but locally I have a Leonard dealer and about 100 miles away in Roanoke, VA there is a Pro Line dealer and about 60 miles away a Homesteader dealer. I don't want anything too wide, I would rather have something like a 6x14 but can't really find one. I will probably have to go with 7x14. There are a lot of narrow curvy roads with deep ditches in WV and I just don't like the thought of dropping one off too much.

Here's some questions for you all....

- V-Nose, are they worth it, does the V count as additional length to the "box" portion or is it additional to it? So on a 7x14 does the 14 include the V?

- As far as weighing them down, is there anything to worry about concerning if I go with a fold rear ramp vs. barn doors and a ramp? Talking about a 48" Laser Z w/200lb rider probably the heaviest thing on it.

- It seems like the Pro Line trailers are the cheapest things I've came across, I've always believed you get what you pay for, so is that the case with them too?

- Anything else I should consider? I would like to see some options side by side but googling I just can't find any dealers locally within 1.5 hours outside of the Leonard dealer and the only thing he stocks is a 5x8 and 5x10 single axle, everything else is special order.

2. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a 8.5 x 20 and I love it. I really don' like the v nose. It cuts down on how sharp you can back up. I have a couple open trailers but will not buy another open trailer to haul mowers around.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

The v-nose is not included with the length of the box. Get a ramp door. I love my enclosed its 8.5 x 18 w/ v-nose. Always go one size bigger than you think you need.

4. Poorboy's landscaping

Poorboy's landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 7x16 enclosed V nose and wish I would have when 8.5 x 16. So go bigger then u need for room to expand. With a V nose it like an extra 1.5 ft up front. Great for a shelf. That how mine set up.

With 7 ft it get very tight with a 60 rear bagger Z and stuff on the walls. It works. I don't use it much but at home.

Now I had a 12.5 x 60" single axle open trailer last year. After switching to an enclosed I will not go back. It nice going place right from cutting and knowing everything locked up inside. I just drop the trailer at the end of the night and leave it at the lot I rent. No unloading stuff. IMO it the best invest I made next to a Mexican!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I'm not so worried about loading/unloading as my garage/shop is big enough to just back the trailers in and drop them off, I am just getting more and more concerned about having both guys around back at large properties, we lock everything down, but still yet.

I like the sounds of a v-nose, but I really need to get a hands on look. Any preferences in brands or are they all about the same?