Thinking of Hustler MiniFastrak...?!?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by pscottp, Mar 15, 2006.

1. pscottp

pscottp LawnSite Member

I am a current owner of a 11 HP Briggs, 30" Snapper behind engine mower with mulch kit. I am looking to upgrade to a wider cut, faster speed/time, zero turn mower. Local dealers have recommended the Hustler mini fastrak 42". I am cutting about 3/4 acre, takes about 1.5 hrs on Snapper. Real problem is weed grass behind property and thick grass that "boggs down" the snapper and smometimes kills it, even if in 1st gear and cutting deck all raised. Is 16 HP Honda 42" worth the price difference vs. the 17 HP Kohler? Will this machine "blaze through" the grass that the Snapper can't handle?Any suggestions/advice for this residential situation?? Also what do you think I should expect $$ to get for the Snapper? 2003 model, exc cond...?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Honda is definitely worth the upgrade / extra money, it is a v-twin, and runs smoother than the single cylinder Kohler.
    As far as time goes, on 3/4 of and acre with the Mini FasTrak you will be done in half the time you were with that Snapper.
    With the grass / weed conditions you are talking about, I think you may have to slow down a bit in there, but the design of our deck will get the grass out, and you shouldn't have any problems stalling out or going through it at a reasonable speed.
    I can not possibly give you a estimate of value on your Snapper, it is such a regional thing.
    There are a bunch of guys on here from your state, maybe they will chime in here for you.
  3. trucke

trucke LawnSite Member

I too went from a 8hp Briggs on a 28" Snapper rear engine to a Hustler 20/52 Fastrak in '04. The Hustler will definitely "blaze" through that wet stuff you're talking about. What PJ means is you will not be able to operate the Hustler at top speed through it, but it will get the job done quickly. When it's real thick and wet, just raise the deck and make a couple of passes lowering the deck a little on each pass. Just press the deck level with your right foot. Try doing that with your Snapper! The performance of the Hustler is on such a higher plan than the Snapper that a comparison just isn't fair. You will easily knock 30% to 50% off your cutting time. And the Honda engine is sweeeeet!
  4. 46mack

46mack LawnSite Member

this is just the equipment you need. the blade speed is soooo much faster than your snapper. if you are lucky, your grass will grow as fast as mine does. no jagged edges on the blades of grass keeps it much healthier. time flies when you are having fun though!! put on your hearing protection (with earbuds and your favorite music), put your favorite beverage in the cup holder, grab your ez reacher (to get the dog toys out of the way) and off you go with a big grin on your face. you gotta mow, might as well have fun.
  5. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Thanks for looking at the Mini Fastrak. I am the distributor rep for South LA and live in Baton Rouge. The honda is definitely worth the extra money. We just have some people that are solely shopping on price and the Kohler courage gives us that. With our conditions right now with the clover and winter weeds really growing strong, you will have to slow down a little. But once these die out and we are just left with our regular grasses you should be able to speed up. Lucky for you I have some great dealers in your area. Since you live in Walker, try 4-H equipment on 4-H club road. Richard and Anita Bryan are great people and have an excellent business. They will treat you good and take care of any problems after the sale. Good luck and let me know if I can help you.
  6. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Mini Fastrak 16Hp Honda/42" deck w/ mulch kit & gators, on the 16th. I cut my property on the 17th., and it performed great. I cut some very large clover patches, about 10-14 inches tall and 3-5 feet in diameter, and the engine barely changed pitch going through it at about 4 mph. It did not bog, clog, clump, or hesitate. I know with my Exmark Lazer HP 20 Hp Kohler/44" deck w/ mulch kit, it would have bogged, killed, and clumped (it did in the past). I was very impressed with this machine. The quality of cut is as good as my Exmark was. It also weighs a lot less, 572# vs 927#, has less ground pressure, and cost about half as much as a new Exmark. I also cut my all of may clients yards this past weekend, and they were happy with the results too. I can't wait until April to get the new Mini Z with the 19Hp Kaw/42" deck and ZT2800 hydros. My dealer was great to deal with (Gautreaux's L&G in Gonzales), I also bought some Redmax equipment from him. A great combination: Hustler, Redmax, and Gautreaux's.
  7. Quality Cuts PLS

Also as Rusty said, Richard & Anita at 4H in Denham Springs are good people to deal with.
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats on the new mower! and welcome to the family!
    Wait until you get your hands on the new Mini Z's.... you will love them!!
    We just built our first run of them, they are going to start getting to warehouses and dealers soon!

9. Quality Cuts PLS

edit please
  10. Quality Cuts PLS

Thanks for the welcome PJ. Looking forward to being a "family member" for a long time to come.