Thinking of moving to British Columbia

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Jan 10, 2005.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I'm currently living in Toronto Canada and would like to move to Kamloops B.C. would appreciate any advise or suggestion this area for business. I was really considering the lower mainland of Vancouver but I can't afford a house there...thanks Marty

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I live 1 hour south of Kamloops. There is lots of work up here, as new home sales are skyrocketing. Even house prices are going through the roof. We bought our house 2 years ago, half an acre with a shop and small house in Vernon for $128,000 and apparently now we could get about $200K. I think the Kamloops market is not quite as hot as the Okanagan, but it is most likely booming too. The one thing that always worries me about this region is how prone we are to drought. The last two years we ahve had water restrictions of up to only being able to water 1 day per week. Try to keep a lawn green in 40 Celcius weather with that. Spring is always busy, but sometimes August can be a lean month if it is a dry summer and lawns aren't growing. To be honest, if you really want to move to a town thats got a ton of landscape related work, Kelowna is the place to be. I go there every few weeks for parts or whatever, and every time I'm there there is a new highrise going up, or a new super size walmart going up. There is lots of seniors retirement communities being built and they are a great source of work for us.

3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC over here ..

Too much work, lol ...

4. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

Victoria BC here,

My mom is a real estate agent, and says yes the price will eventually fall, can you wait it out?

5. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Too much work, lol ... really?

My parents live in New westminster and My sister lives in Kamloops...I did a search of the real estate and there is absolutely nothing that I could afford in Vancouver :dizzy: I just don't want to show up in a small community and steal away precious jobs if there isn't enough room for one more guy, If you know what I mean. I'm just getting tired of Toronto and the people here.

6. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Wow glad to hear it's booming out there I was thinking the same thing ( moving to Kelowna) I was wondering what a locals take on it was thanks
    grshopp.

7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Kelowna might be a second choice... :) I know it's a bigger city. Well I'm not going to rush because it's a big decision that I have been trying to make for a couple of years, but I don't think I can wait for the vacouver market price to go down. I would only live in a few area's of the lower mainland and the prices are up in the $400 000 and up range (starting) for a typical 3 bedroom home.

8. alpine692003

Yah, I live in Vancouver and I believe this is the best city to live in!

I am 10mins away from downtown, 1min from the hwy..

I'm close to everything!

9. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

If you have more than 1/2 million handy for a house :dizzy:

10. alpine692003

LOL ..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: