Thinking of Rain Strategy for next year...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jul 9, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I was thinking about trying something next year and wanted to run it by you guys.
    Let's say that in my service agreement that I outline the weekly charge for mowing service and then have a condition that if it rains, their lawn may be done the following week at a different rate. So, if the lawn costs 38.00 per week to mow and rain prevents the mowing of that lawn, it would be done the following week at 45.00 due to extra growth.

NOTE- I would not make this a practice for everyone, just those lawns that don't grow that fast. I can hip pocket them for the following week while I catch up on others after the rain.

Thoughts?

2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

noone that i know would go for that....at least i would not. i'd fire you the first time you try to pull something like that on me.....cause of course i would not have read the statement/policy before hand.

just my thought.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Okay, let's assume you read it.

How is the different from chargeing someone more for a 14 day service versus 7 day?

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

go full service and give a package price, then charge the same amount every month no matter what you do.

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

if i did read it....i'd ask "why is it my fault that you took too much work to begin with, and can't not come back the next day (and push everything back).

Most people leave one/two days off so that they can take care of these things, like hurricane/rain, etc.

You can ask them "If this happens, can i skip you all together that week and come back the following week (14 days) for $8 more?" but dont do it if they are not completely aware of it.

I'd say, "No, dont want my grass that high".....but someone might take you up on it.

I have clients that could care less how high their grass is. they'd do it.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Who defines "rain," you, or the customer? We who do the work are keenly interested in the climatic conditions and how it affects our work. To most of my customers, they don't remember from one day to the next - unless their picnic has been rained out.

I've explained to many of my customers why I'm not on scheduled, and all I get is a shrug. They get into their car in the garage, push the door opener, drive out, push the button to close the door -- reverse the process on returning home. How rain affects them is of little consequence. My point: the customer isn't concerned about weather conditions, and when finds odd pricing on an invoice, will raise more questions than you have time to answer.

To reinforce the point on the other end of the spectrum. Last week I skipped a few customers mowing because the hot, dry weather has meant little or not growth in the grass. One of them questioned why I wasn't there and was shocked when I told her the grass hadn't grown, and why. Most customers make little connection to the mowing and the weather. Making unusual contractural arrangements seems to open the door to questions you don't want to take time to explain.

7. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Personally, I would not want to forgoe the revenues.

We don't leave days open to make up for rain days, if it rains lightly we cut until it affects the quality or the equipment. Otherwise we bust our butts the rest of the week.

We have weekly contracts aside from 2 very large commercial properties, so we try not to miss any cuts, that's throwing money out the window in my opinion. just my 2 cents

8. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

why don't you just charge monthly instead of doing weekly then you don't need to worry about loosing money if it rains and you can't get out

9. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

ya fixed pricing is the best way to deal.