Thinking of starting a Job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by huntercook33, Sep 4, 2004.

1. huntercook33

huntercook33 LawnSite Member
    from Orando

I've been thinking of starting a company/job in lawn care. I was thinking to start, 40 lawns. Twice a month. $40 - $50 per lawn. Between 2 people. The lawns would mostly be 1/4 acre plots including the house. So maybe about 1/8 of an acre that is actually mowable grass. I have a jeep cherokee to tow and a trailer. I was thinking of a stihl edger and backpack blower, and just someother type of weeder. What kind of mower should I be looking at? I've seen some $800-1500 walk behind mowers on ebay by Scag and Exmark and Honda. Around 32'' - 52''. I have a pretty reliable push mower for the areas that would be too tight to get with the big main mower. I would plan on buying all used equipment. Trying to stay under $1500 for the mower. What do you guys think would be a good size and brand for this type of job. The lawns would mostly be 1/4 acre plots including the house. So maybe about 1/8 of an acre that is actually mowable grass. I'm 17 and looking for something that I can make some money doing but not be in it full time. So I can see if this is something I'd like to do just for now, or something I'd like to do for a real career/business. Keep in mind only 40 lawns because I'm still in school.