Thinking of starting a Job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by huntercook33, Sep 4, 2004.

1. huntercook33

huntercook33 LawnSite Member
    from Orando

I've been thinking of starting a company/job in lawn care. I was thinking to start, 40 lawns. Twice a month. $40 - $50 per lawn. Between 2 people. The lawns would mostly be 1/4 acre plots including the house. So maybe about 1/8 of an acre that is actually mowable grass. I have a jeep cherokee to tow and a trailer. I was thinking of a stihl edger and backpack blower, and just someother type of weeder. What kind of mower should I be looking at? I've seen some $800-1500 walk behind mowers on ebay by Scag and Exmark and Honda. Around 32'' - 52''. I have a pretty reliable push mower for the areas that would be too tight to get with the big main mower. I would plan on buying all used equipment. Trying to stay under $1500 for the mower. What do you guys think would be a good size and brand for this type of job. Also what types of edgers, weeders, blowers, hedge trimmers should I be looking around at? I'm 17 and looking for something that I can make some money doing but not be in it full time. So I can see if this is something I'd like to do just for now, or something I'd like to do for a real career/business. Keep in mind only 40 lawns because I'm still in school.
  2. adam underwood

adam underwood LawnSite Member

how do you propose getting 40 lawns to start?
  3. huntercook33

from Orando

Half friends parents would like me to do it and the other half low balling at about $30.
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

How about do the half for friends and family and then just pick up a few more without lowballing. Same income less work and you wont be hurting the market.
  5. huntercook33

from Orando

Not stealing peoples clients, but getting new ones. What would be the average price for a 1/4 acre lawn including house?
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

$40-50 is a little steep for ¼ acre lots (especially if you are not going to be using top notch equipment). I don't know what the market is like in your area, but $45-50 gets 3/4 acre, and $60 gets an acre lot over here.

I would say $30-35 for a ¼ acre.
  7. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

well you have good ambition....I'll give you that. ;)
  8. huntercook33

from Orando

Thanks, me and my friend passed out 40 flyers to people. They were really really crappy, the print job was horrible, you could hardley read the numbers on them. We got 1 call but I accidently hit 8 (erase message) insted of 9 (save message). And the prices were pretty steep ($100/month). So I was just working on some decent looking flyers and made the price $70/month. Made it look and sound a bit more professional. You can see the flyer in the picture section, yes I now notice I misspelled edging and monthly. We're about to print out 500 and hand them out personally. It will take a long time, 2 weeks probably but I expect a much higher turn out. I'm really just hoping to get 10 or 15 customers.
  9. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

I would definately get a 36" walk behind, anything bigger you may not be able to fit through the gates to get to back yards. Edger, trimmer, and blower would also be a necessity, the blower doesn't necessarily need to be a backpack blower, I use a simple Echo handheld blower and Echo stick edger, and trimmer from Home Depot.

2 mows per month for $50 doesn't sound too bad especially this time of year with yards down here only needing done that much but once the next mowing season comes around then I hope you bounce that price up a bit and do like a 7 day mowing cycle. LCO's over here near Tampa are charging anywhere between $75 and $100 per month with $75 being for a small yard that takes 9 minutes to do between 2 people.
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -