Thinking of starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by J L M, Feb 14, 2006.

1. J L M

J L M LawnSite Member

My sons and I are thinking of starting a landscaping business, and are wondering what the first steps should be to become successfull and respected in the community. so any tips that a newcommer should know about the do's and dont's to impress the coustomer and future clients would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike
  2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

well, i myself am not a total expert, as im still struggling, but what ive learned so far is to be yourself when talking to clients, dont claim to know it all, and if some one asks about something you dont know about tell them... be honest, get yourself some nice equipment, if you cant afford new, start with used for the first year, you will need a tax id # and insurance... image is every thing , even though some people will disagree , if your tools look nice,it makes you appear committed, professional, and reliable .... good luck to you and your kids
  3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, once you get set up and all, with business and contractors license, etc, if you actually show up to do the work and are honest, word spreads and you stay busy.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

1st: Welcome to LS!

2nd: Make sure that you set up your biz properly first (insurance, etc.).

3rd: Strive to do exceptional work.

4th: Once you have a few customers that are happy with your work then ask them to refer you to their family and friends.

5th: Perception is everything. Make sure you are getting your company name out in front of people. The more that they see your name, the more biz they will think that you do. Mix that with hearing about you from someone that says "Yeah, I use them they do really good work.", or "I have seen them before doing someones yard in my neighborhood they seem to do good work.", and before you know it you are giving people warm fuzzy feelings.

Bottom line is concentrate on your biz, and doing good work. The rest will come if you start from the beginning of the map and work towards the X (X marks the spot). Good Luck!:)
  5. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

For starters you have network

Hang out where other contractors do, like brothels and bars

Become a raging alcoholic, some of my best ideas and business junctures have taken place at a fine establishment

Next be ready to lay your marriage on the line, you wont see your wife for 9 months

Get ready to work like you are gonna die, then get up and do it again

Dont cut any corners

Dont ***** yourself out

Dont be afraid to put it all on the line ( I hate people who only talk a good game)

Spend alot of money and then worry about it later, this will ensure you getting to the jobsite before the bank does

other than than ride around in nice trucks and play with power equipment for a living while all your friends ***** and moan and talk about doing what you are doing

thats it in a nut shell

I hope this helps
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you really want to make a good impression, there is a guy around here that takes his kids 11 or 13 or so, to the jobs with him to help..., it looks terribly unprofessional, and unsafe if they are really young.... teenagers isnt as bad, but in many states, anyone under 18 is not allowed to run any power equipment in the workplace...

if they are young adults, your all set for labor..:)

youve already got lots of od advice, great people here..

dont remember seeing it, but keep away from the homeowners equipment, we have all learned the hard way it is a wast of money...

good luck:)