1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of weekly billing again for non-contract residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Busa_bill, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Busa_bill

Busa_bill LawnSite Member

It's getting where I don't want to check my emails after I bill every month. Like the last couple of months, again today I get two cancellations citing economic issues. WTH?

I started monthly billing as a service to my customers (not to mention not having the hassle of picking up a check every week). Seems like this is proving to be a bad idea recently with the downturn. It is easier for people to realize what they are spending on a monthly basis and they go ape $hit.

What do you think? Would there be a psychological advantage to billing weekly?

Two steps forward, one step back
  2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I think that they would get annoyed by having to send a bill every week, and it would cost you 4x the money in stamps and envelopes, unless you do everything by credit card/paypal.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I bill per service, always have.

And with the exception of some we know who will be forever cheapos, if a customer is having some trouble keeping up I can usually delay their service dates without much further ado, they notice the benefit immediately and I do lose some money yes dangit but I also get to keep the customer.

The worst of it is here we start back down this road... :cry:
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have been considering a monetary limit. I find when it gets much over 2-K I get calls "what is this charge?" "I saw the guy with the big hat talking on the phone" "Are you sure these hours are correct?"

But it makes it difficult to be billing at different times. I think a weekly charge with a CC is the way to go.
  5. Busa_bill

Currently, I send all invoices via email through QuickBooks once a month.

Maybe I'll go back to the old days of having them leave a check once a week in the BBQ pit? :hammerhead:
  6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I've always charged a flat monthly, year round fee. My customers hardly think of me at all (except when I add extras).

I did lose a customer last week. He is a realestate appraiser. tough times !!
  7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I think that it will work to an extent. The customers won't truly realize how much they are spending in a month because the monthly services are broken down into several bills. But it will be a real PITA to continue to send all of those bills out every week as apposed to just doing it once at the end of the month.
  8. Busa_bill

It probably means that I will get away from Quickbooks billing and have to train the customers to leave a check on the days that I come. Did this for a couple of years back in the 90's and it worked well except for the same people that never could remember to leave it. Funny, because I never forgot to mow their yard. :confused:
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Most of my business is through credit card, so I bill after every service.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Do you use the quickbooks cc service?