1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

thinking or entering the business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie12, Jul 18, 2001.

1. rookie12

rookie12 LawnSite Member

any info on entering the busness. start-up costs, avg. number of lawns to make $$, operating expenses, insurance etc. thank you for any and all input.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Do some searching...all those topics have been covered in great detail.

Good luck.

P.S. Being from your area, know that competition is fierce! There are people around here that give away their services thinking they are making a buck. Well actually that's probably all they are making.
  3. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

Best advice I can give is to go work for someone for a season or two. Look, listen and learn.. Decide if its for you.. This is what I did, and I can say I truely cannot wait to get started next season.

BTW, one important aspect is to learn how to bid, what to bid, and where to bid. You don't want to be labeled a "Scrub".

Also, do alot of reading here.. I mean ALOT.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dont make the same mistakes i did. i took on too much work than i could handle. take only what u can handle, and do every lawn, every time u r supposed to. the idea is not to miss a cut, ever. i was constantly juggling customers, and as a result, couldnt get to them every week like i was supposed to, so i had twice as many customers, but could only do them half the time, resulting in lots of lost customers. i have fewer customers now, and make more money. sell full service(fert, trimming, sring/fall cleanups)
  5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

This topic is posted about once a day. :)