Thinking out Loud

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, this kind of ties into four things; gas prices, lowballers, and friendly/quality service, loyalty.

Ok, so lately we have been dealing with gas prices slowly dropping down. Last week they were $2.67, then dropped to $2.47, then today they dropped to $2.42, and then just about 15 mins ago I saw that one particular gas station had dropped to $2.37, while my regular gas station that I have always went to is only at $2.39.

Now this $2.39 gas station I have always went there. I remember back when I was 5 and 6 years of age that it used to be full service, have a car wash, and did repairs as well. My father always went there when I was younger and always took me there, and over the years it slowly just turned into a gas station/party store as it is today.

But over the years, I have always gone there, no place else even with his higher gas prices. His prices usually are always higher than the rest by about 2 cents per gallon of gas. But I never batted an eye at the price of paying extra for that gallon of gas. Perhaps because of loyalty to the owner, or just the fact that he gives friendly service and actually listens to your day and your problems. He has a free air station outside, lends gas cans or tools if needed, lets you use his phone, pretty nice guy.

So this got me thinking tonight about lowerballers and prices. People always complain about lowerballers coming in and underbidding the work and taking jobs away. Perhaps, it isn't that they are underbidding the service, perhaps it's because we are not providing the friendly/quality service with our higher prices. Perhaps we are not going that extra mile for the customers to really justify our prices.

Maybe we all should look at that gas station that I go to and ask, "Why does Troy go to that gas station to pay an extra 2 cents a gallon, when the one across the street is 2 cents cheaper?"

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know if i would call em lowballers . yeh i do hate the fact that i lose jobs to em but i suppose if i have to make 45.00 to make money but the next man can do it for 35.00 and make money then so be it. some might call me a lowballer if i can profit from doing a job cheaper than them . but if you think about it in some way we are all lowballers at some point in time . unless you can honestly say that you have never bid and gotten a job for less than the previous lco did it for .

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Well I can relate to one time I had a woman contact me for mowing her old service was $25 I came and said I can't do it for less than $35 and she bit but, for reasons beyond my control I no longer have her. The next closest thing was I had matched another guys price but the next mowing season the price went up $5.00 other than those 2 I've been beaten a good # of times.

Rob

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I find as our businesses grow we just don't have the time to "go the extra mile". When you get 60+ customers sometimes you don't know all of them. Have have some that I have yet to meet. So how can a customer be loyal to someone they don't know and talk to 3 times per season MAX.

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

huh ??? ;)

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if you were the only "gas station" in the neighborhood it would work!

but in most places there are about 100 "gas stations" to each neighborhood!

if your the only player, you can name your prices! so make yourself the only player in a particular field of the green industry and they will pay you!

7. Sin City Lawn Care

Sin City Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Free enterprise is a building block of this country...

Ya people are pissed when walmart moves in..But it happens and you really cant stop it. But just because there is a "walmart" type of lco in your area doesnt mean to roll up and quit.

you need to provide the Customer Service and Knowledge that they dont.

8. Sin City Lawn Care

you dont have to meet your customers to have loyal ones...If they pull up into there driveway after a long hard days work and they dont even have to think about there lawn, then they will be loyal.

if tht pull up and get out of their car and are like holy crap look at how bad my lawn looks...Then you will be gone

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

There is no such thing as loalty in this business. There is good business practices, good people skills, and experience. You need all three to make this a lifetime job that will leave you with enough to retire on

10. Sin City Lawn Care

you are probably right, there is not one LCO on this site that has not been doing clients yards for years..Without ever switching to a different LCO...Give me a break!