Lawn Care Forum banner

Thinking Time

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I get most of my prolific ideas while riding the mower. I guess I'm bored and start thinking of different ways of doing things. I have a lot of open areas to cut so that means long staight-aways. I don't have a head set to listen to.(next year Eric). Do most of you find yourself in deep thought while cutting. :)

#2 ·
Bob,
I also use the time to think, but I seem to forget the brilliant ideas that come to me which does remind me of a saying that relates to this...."The wisest man I ever knew taught me something I never forgot. And although I never forgot it, I never quite memorized it either. So what Im left with is the memory of having learned something very wise that I cant quite remember."

#3 ·
Hello,

I use to use the time while riding equipment to think, but now i find it to be "my time".....

I hate thinking.....working full time during the day for 8 hours and then going right to my part time business after work for another 6 hours each day leaves little time for anything.

So, when I am at my full time job and sitting on a tractor mowing mile long straights along a airfield....do I think....nope. I just turn on my radio set (just got one...gemplars ran a 20% off sale on them last month, best purchase I ever made) and enjoy the day. Sometimes I get so involved I can't even hear the jets rumbling by at 150 mph 50 ft away.

I have to think too much when I get to my own business and have customers asking if I could move one tree a 'little' to the left. Or i have to think too much when it rains for 2 weeks....hhmmmm......and the job I was suppose to finish 2 weeks ago still is finished. This is when I think.

For me, mow time is relax time. I love it. And the best part is, I get paid too.....I know for most of you, mow time is 'work', as your livlihood depends on it and It does matter if the grass is cut today.

I'm just lucky enough to be able to mow for someone else with no worries. Wish it could be that way for everyone else, as I would not give it up for the world.

steveair

#6 ·
I don't spend alot of time on the crapper, so alot of my thinkin' time is driving between customers, & while on the lawn.
Keeps the brain active & I can't do much of anything else while driving my Z anyways.......

#7 ·
My largest account is a 65 acre retirement community with about 40 of it dedicated to rolling hills.That's 8 to ten hours on an ex-mark rider depending on weather. I've spent most of that time blueprinting in my head the book I'm going to start writing this winter during slow season. It helps keep my mind off billing, *****y clients,*****y employees, *****y wife.:)HE HE Just kidding honey!

#8 ·
Jay,
8 to ten hours of rolling hills?! It sounds like a commercial! Where's the birds chirping, and the morning music? Providing there isn't that bad of trimming, I could only DREAM of an account like that! I envy you.
Good luck with it, enjoy, and DON'T fall asleep at the stick!!! lol

#11 ·
I forgot to mention that while on the mower I figue of things like how to stop world hunger, who killed JFK, how to make world peace, who killed Nicole and Ron, but as soon as I get off the mower I forget all theses ideas!....well at least the first 3.

#12 ·
A group of assassins hit JFK, the magic bullet is too amazing to pin Os with it. OJ appears to be the perp, or really the LAPD could take responsibilty for bungling the evidence. Nukes will keep the peace with MAD as the deterrent. Hunger is tough, cuz Im always hungry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.