1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

thinking to start in this business.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TTPRODR, Mar 17, 2007.

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

hi, I'm thinking getting into this business but slowly,I have my overnight regular job as a truck driver but looking to maybe start with 3 or 4 lawns a week and have no intention of leaving my job unless this thing kick in big time.
    anyway I went to tractor supply to check out trailers,saw one for $689 a 5x8,1,500 lbs capacity with mesh floor and tail ramp and at home depot i was looking at the toro zero turn 42" 19hp rider for $2500,I got the trimmer not too professional but cost me $159 last year,will need a blower.
    now a 5x8 1500lbs capacity trailer will be good enough to haul the 42"toro deck mower.
    subdivisions here runs between 1/4acre to a bit over 1/4 of acre which are the subs I'm thinking on to start hunting on .
    I got one customer already(family member) if I get into this business and ,my wife is a realtor and she run her own ads in magazines here and there she can squeeze me in one corner of her ads,so advertising wont be too much of an issue.
    what do you all think ?im on the right tracks to start slow?
  2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

your trailor will be fine, being that your trying to stay small the mower should be ok but as it is probably a home owner mower it won't last if you start to grow. you can get a good commerical WalkBehind+Velke for around $2000-$3000 and it will last much longer and do a beter job.

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

velke means the place where you step on on rear of the walkbehind mower?---Correct

I see this deal on ebay,is it a good deal?http://cgi.ebay.com/48-TORO-PACKAGE-...QQcmdZViewItem
    That is a good starter package in my opinion, but what if a lawn you are doing has a gate?

thanks,does the toro Z4200 ZTurn is not considered a commercial mower?
    It is not a commercial mower.
  5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

man to be honest i'm not 100% sure, i use husquvarna equipment. now i'm not telling you to go with it, if you like toro use toro. the thing is home depot sells like 99% home owner equipment, they do have some nice ear plugs, work gloves, and they also sell the best shovels around(LOL) you should check around your town for a mower dealer you'll get a better price and better equipment

yes the velke is thing you stand on it has wheel(s), just a little friendly advice if you decide to go with a WB+V make sure you get the velke with 2 wheels the 1 wheels suck balls, they get grass hung up and the tire will drag and leave rutts in your strips and you have to balance one tire although that isn't that tough. another thing i like is that the two wheel has a much larger platform to stand on

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

what about it if has a gate?
  7. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

if your deck is to big you can't get in some fenced-in backyards

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

right right!
    a 36" or 40" might work better on those situations.
    hey any special license,permits to do this kind of business?