Thinking WAY ahead now

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j05h22, Apr 22, 2008.

1. j05h22

j05h22 LawnSite Member

Ok I mow part time. But now I've jsut found out I have a kid on the way:cry::cry: Now I'm wondering what there is to do in the off season. I'm looking ot acquire a chemical license so that will help but any input on what you guys do after the grass quits growing will help a ton!!

2. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

Besides Lawn mowing and Landscaping we also have a crew for interiour work,Build outs,framing,drywall,painting etc.

Whatever service the Customer needs we provide / Full service property management.:dizzy:

I'm not saying that this is the answer but,try getting in to something that is steady and year round along with the lawns.

3. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Second that!

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

while having a childs is great happiness, I was in the position as well of having a baby, within a few years of going out on my own.

There is a bit of trepidation and worry in the fact that you need to be binging in money year round, or have a really great growing season and the ability to budget your money such that it can last through the slow times. And it can even be more worrisome if your spouse is not working...

In Florida it wasn't as much of an issue as we mowed year round, and all my client were on yearly service contracts(so even if we had a slow down, we still knew how much money was coming in), I did pick up on pressure washing sidewalks and driveways and landscape installs in the fall, and I did paint a few single story homes as well.

5. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 3 kids under 3 years old bud, the best advice i can give is to enjoy the calm before the storm. Don't go work your arse off unless you absolutely must, and don't pass up a minute with that kid or you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

paulup has good advice.

As far as work that you can pick up in the off season, ask yourself "What do I enjoy doing or what am I good at that I can offer other people?" Handyman services, painting, drywalling, etc......

7. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

become a fireman. only have to work 3 24 hour shifts a week. still plenty of time to service lawns during growing season and provides a year round income you can budget for. i know a couple fireman that keep up with about 35 yards during spring and summer

you could also hang christmas lights and decorations for people in the fall.

just a couple ideas

8. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

PAULUP,

I know your kids are young and you want to enjoy them and you should.

My 2 sons have been working for me for over 14 years,you would not believe how proud i am of them i mean,i watch them work and talk with the customers and it makes me smile.

I remember when i was out here all alone,where did the time go?
    I'm not ready to be as old as i am (yet):cry:

9. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I HATE winters..

I'm already trying to figure out what we're gonna do this winter to keep busy...

Here in LA we're able to install year-round, but most potential clients aren't thinking about plants when they're wearing their winter jackets.

Also, the majority of our maintenance customers are on year-round contracts, so we at least have some guaranteed income coming in during the slow time.

Last winter, we did sub work for a guy hauling debris under a government contract.

This winter, who knows..:dizzy: