Third caster on 52" fixed deck Scag, as requested

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 24, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Just barely clears the stock anti scalp roller bracket. Looks like an octopus with the 3 wheels and the headlights to me anyway LOL

mar24123.jpg

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Now move your original caster arms OUT toward the edges and you will NEVER scalp!

Time to swap a bigger engine on that there mower boy!

Heck, it looks like the 14hp that has problems with my 48" belt!

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

A previous owner welded the originals on... I may work at grinding through the welds and may move them outward like you say. I know of a good deal on a 17hp single Kaw for it but no money right now :cry:
    This mower has everything but enhance controls, Flex Deck and more power! :cool: With this sulky and the third wheel it is setup to mow great on hills and uneven ground. The castering sulky or Proslide isn't an option for me because they cannot perform good enough on hills to satisfy me. My yard is 2 acres with 1.5 acres being hilly (too much for castering sulky) and i do not want to walk it all the time. If it can't be used in any situation I may come upon, I don't want it! LOL

4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Eric
    You realize that when you go out and cut that you will see the wheel mark from that front caster wheel, making the stripes look like a three-wheeler cut the lawn. I dont see the need for a front caster when they already have a anti-scalp roller. Mine cuts just fine.
    Matt

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont see much benefit with the third caster as well. When im mowing hills.... i couldnt see where a third caster would help at all. it may help on uneven ground, but not hills.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

On hills.... coming up over knolls it would help. I have alot of short hills with steep knolls on my lawn and some nasty rough spots. Anything is a help. Yes Matt I know that but I can move it up a spacer or two and it will only touchdown when needed but not streak. It also would probably help support my heavy side catcher alittle if I adjusted it right.
    I can always take it off if I don't like it, it's not welded on or anything.
    Thanks,
    Eric

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

BHB,

You really seem to have an interest and aptitude for mower modifications. You should go on to get an engineering degree and help design and build these mowers. I would if I had any engineering aptitude at all, which I certainly do not.

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce32 in Turf north BHB's lastest article is opposite a Great Dane ad. Started by another famous lawn engineer

Dane Scag. Ed