this account is tearing up my blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeshere89, Jun 5, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i have an account, about an half acre, for this trucker, he wants it mowed every two weeks which is a pain in my *** right now cause of spring growth and all the rain. This trucker comes home every weekend and pulls his rig in this lot which leave deep deep ruts in the ground, now i have to mow this and every time i do my blades are hitting dirt when i go over the ruts i tried going over them in different directions but still bottoms out, i raised my deck and mowed it higher and he gets lippy with me, so i bite the big one and mow it once more and kill my blades, any ideas on this would be great.

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You have a lot of equipment there... so either you need all the work you can get to pay for that equipment or you have tons of work and put it all to good use. If it's the latter.. dump him. If not.. do the best you can.

3. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

actually i have the work i can handle by myself and i do charge him a cool 90 for the job that only takes less than a half hour, no trimming or edging, so i hate to drop the account, just curious if there is another thing i can do to cut it without beating my blades up

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

just cut around it with the machine. maybe one pass down the middle too where the tire tracks aren't? then tackle the ruts with a trimmer?

5. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Would it be possible to cut around the ruts and than use your string trimmer on the ruts? I've got a couple of rough areas I handle accordingly.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

also you could suggest he get a truckload of gravel spread under his parking spot. you probably don't even need much equipment to do it either, most guys around here will drop-spread the load for a small fee. They just open the door, raise her up and drive forward/backwards as they unload. you could probably tackle the smoothing out without a machine with some grunt work.

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want to drop the account then put an old set of blades on the mower each time you do it.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That was going to be my suggestion. Just have an old set of blades you can slap on for this job. If you're doing 90 bucks in a half hour, you can afford the few minutes to change them. Besides, it's cheaper than new blades. Also, DEFinitely watch for the ruts and just straddle them.

9. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

for 90 bucks in a half hour i would cut it with a pair of scissors.

Just kidding how long is the drive way. Shut your blades off and drive you heaviest mower down the side of the ruts to smash them down first then mow.

Or mow with only the right side over the mud pile and mess only one blade up and then its only 6.50 to replace one blade.

Plenty of ways to get around it and good money i wouldnt even think of droping it.