This area sucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, Apr 4, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

I went home for lunch and listened to machine stating that they appreciated me coming by but they had found another lawn company.These were 3 new customers I had gained from an AD in the paper for this year.Ran it one week recvd these three calls BADA BING.Three people right in the row, 25 each.They told me just before signing up,the last company charged 18.00 dollars crew of 4 guys.I went through the same song/dance(insurance,gas,time) they went shopping and found it cheaper.The lawn was a 20 minute job with 36 wb.I guess the thing that really p*sss me off is these companys are charging 18-20 bucks are there for 10 minutes with 3-4 guys and there out of there.My complaint is that I do'nt think that we should be charging by how fast we can do it,i.e. better/faster equipment today, but rather charge based on what it is really worth.Whether you do it or I do it with zturn or not, 18.00 bucks seems to cheap to me.Especially when you read on a post recently how much money people spend on there equipment and in general to perform this type of work.Yes they do more than me in a day but they lower the cost for all of us and in the end I get screwed and alot of others do to.I guess all run another ad.DAVE
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I guess its all part of the fun of the lawn care business, things are no different here in MN either.
  3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Lady hired me end of last summer for this season. Didn't like her lawn guy. Did louzy job on everything. But he was cheap. Did the spring cleanup this year and told her what my price was for mowing. No problem. Just got the call. She's gonna use the other guy cause she can't afford my price. I can't compete with "cheap" and I won't. More customers will come along.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to the world of LCO _ Lawn mowing - whatever. Remember that the customer determines the price - The LCO just tries to get equipment that is efficient enough to make a living.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

PS - See the previous post = I make a good living.
  6. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

contracts for everything.

i thought that everyone would dump me but i've gotten basically everyone back from last year.
  7. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Cut, Edge & Trim for one low price; most lawns $17.00
    (Most lawns 4,000 sq feet or less)
  8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I agree contracts on everything ... not bashing you at all but if you would have had them sign on dotted line at least you would have had them for at least this year and then you could have proved you were the better bang for the buck . No ones word is good anymore i dont trust anyone period .
  9. michael13

michael13 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I wouldnt mow any lawn for 25.00, let alone 18.00. I would pump gas first.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

what the hell is that gonna do to ensure everyone signs up each year again and again may I ask?