This bid is killing me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Mar 19, 2008.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,640 is the outline for the bid. I usually don't need help with this sort of thing but this one is stumping me. I always try to help other posters out with bids so what would YOU bid? This is verbatim:

Bid 1: "Trash to be picked up and hauled away.

Mowing and trimming will include the front entrance and landscaping

Mowing will be done on "as needed". This is usually once a week during the growing season and during "Hot" weather every 10 days. NO MOWING will be done in less than 1 week intervals unless authorized.

Care of landscaping will include watering, pulling of weeds, pruning if needed and picking up trash. Watering will only need to be done if we get very little rain and or during "Hot" months (usually July and August). This is the second season the landscaping has been in place so the roots are still not developed. Soaker hoses are located under the mulch in the three main ares so you don't have to be present during this watering except to change to a different soaker hose. The tree will have to be watered separately. Water is available with a hose and reel for use at xxx residence. The Flower Boxes located on the concrete landing area will need to be watered more frequently than the other landscaping. During the "hot season" the flowers will need to be watered once or twice or maybe even three times a week. Weeds will need to be pulled in the area of the flowers. When considering your bid include the care of the landscaping since this is not a weekly job with the mowing.

xxx homeowners association is not responsible for accidents or broken equipment.

Your bid $___ per mowing including trimming and (include care of landscaping) for the 2008 season. "

Bid 2: "All supplies and equipment will be furnished by the bidder.

Pickup and haul away trash from ditches and lawn. The primary ditch will be mowed or use of trimmer ONLY if over 12 inches high (city usually keeps the ditch mowed that runs across the primary property). Spraying of the ditch needs to be done at the beginning of the growing season and then as needed to keep the ditch looking groomed. Will need authorization on additional spraying after first application.

Trimming around meter box lift station, signs and other stationary items will also be included.

Mowing will be done on "as needed basis" in which you will be notified when to mow. This is usually once a month.

xxx HOA is not responsible for accidents or broken equipment.

Your bid will be for one mowing per month or as requested when to mow -- include trimming in your bid price. Spraying needs to be bid per treatment.

mowing $___ Spraying / app $____ "

So to me it is a HUGE PIA, however, I see it more as an opportunity to service the residents residence.

Bid one's mowing area is about 1380 sqft. There is about a dozen planted plants and one tree. The "planter boxes" are not out so I have no idea how many there are.

Bid two's mowing area is ~1.5 ac. with very minimal trimming. The ditch is about 2 feet wide by 382 feet long. I have this part pretty well figured out but give me your input anyway.
  2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful. It may kill you in more ways than one. I mean, financially also.
    Housing coops or condos have a way of asking a "lot" and wanting to pay little for it. That is why we've declined to bid about 75 of these types of projects so far this year.

We've found that if a condo/housing coop only wants cutting, it's not financially responsible for us to accept the low profit coming from that simple cutting. If more work is promised such as cement work, or hard landscape, or stucco repairs, painting etc... well you get the idea, in other words other work that is 3 to 5 times more profitable than cutting lawns...then I'll bid otherwise, NO THANKS. I don't want my dentist to get rich off me while I'm making peanuts cutting lawns... NO Way. Cutting lawns is only a means of getting to the more lucrative work...otherwise....FORGET IT!!

3. PLM-1

I know exactly what you mean. I take care of 3 other HOAs without problems. This one just has so many what if's. I actually laughed and tossed it to the side to begin with. But then it made me curious, so I thought I would bid to make money not "just to get it". I semi see this as a part-timer/weekend-mower getting it because of the "watering "sometimes maybe 3 times per week" and "we will call you when we think it needs to be mowed" LOL
  4. PLM-1

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

The per mowing is what sucks. You only get paid on a /mowing basis. If it wasn't like that you could just give a yearly price. Maybe you could just draw up your own proposal and see if they go for it. Something like 400/month for 12 months and everything will be taken care of. If you drive by this job everyday it might not be a bad thing to get but if you have to go out of your way to water it might not be worth it unless you get a premium. Just a thought.
  6. PLM-1

Ya, I thought of doing that so I called the HOA lady today and she said no way no how. I then explained to her that we offer professional services on a schedule and that we don't fly by the seat of our pants. She just said to bid the watering on a twice a week schedule and include that with your mowing price. Also, she wasn't sure how many flower pots there would be this year. I just figured we could toss a sprinkler out there and let it go.
  7. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

(per mowing) (when needed ) who's gonna decide this? could become a pita
  8. PLM-1

You would be correct. Supposedly my contact person is the authority. She said weekly mowing of front with watering and plan on the 1.5 ac 1 time per month.
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

This looks like a problem sooner rather than later. I just got done going back and forth with a hoa on some of the same things. They wouldn't provide a scope and nature of what they really wanted and left much of it open to interpretation. I spent a few hours preparing a scope and nature for them. They wanted to delete a fair amount of it. They were trying to set me up for failure. Not gonna happen. Walked away from it. they sent me a email wanting to go back to the table and negotiate some more. I said thanks but unless you're to take my s&n as is then we have nothing to talk about.
  10. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

Your title says it all. The job will kill you too. I do some HOA's but it is all work and pay set up front. Don't do unless you need the work, but then I'd probably would not do anyway.