This Business is Crazy Awesome.?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1cooltreeguy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Get this!! 2 years ago we maintained a premiere homes assocaition that had 90 homes in it. Bermuda sod and we did the works. the homes were new and we were the first ones to maintain it. We bid it at $60,000 and when we got into the cut season I felt that we were way too low on our bid and I wanted out bad, bad, bad. So, we gave our thirty day notice and they asked why - I said I need $30,000 more to complet the contract as written. They were mad and said Good Bye - We will find someone to do it cheaper than what you are doin it for now. I said - Thanks and Goodbye. TODAY (2 years later) they call and want us back. Crazy - I have all my notes from 2 years ago and I will go to their board and tell them the contract is easily $100,000. Ha, Ha, Ha - we will see how serious they are now. The place is a mess. I will have to charge them $10,000 just to get the place servicable. We are soooooo busy now that I really do not want the work so they will have to meet our premium price or no deal.:weightlifter: :hammerhead: :weightlifter: :hammerhead: :clapping:

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like they found out that u get what u pay for.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You were off on your bid by 50%?

How does one cancel 90 lawns and replace them in 30 days?

Do you just lay off workers and add them as needed? If so, how do you get reliable trained help on such short notice?

4. 1cooltreeguy

All awesome questions. Other LCO's were knocking their door down trying to get in so they had their pick. We did not lay off any workers - we picked up several other HOA's that filled in the gap. We do have a decent training program in effect - We have tree crews, Lawn crews, Sod and Irrigation Crews so we cross train everyone to have multiple opportunities .

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Let us know how it works out for you with their Board !!

6. 1cooltreeguy

Ok - So here is the update. We told the president that we felt like the contract would be valued @ $115,000. He looked at us and said that is doable. Lets see your proposal. That is where it is at.

7. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

good luck.... nice when you actually get paid what you feel you're worth.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

1cooltreeguy sent you a pm.

9. 1cooltreeguy

Right back at u.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about relocating out to the sand bar to work.
    But I just don't know if I could cope...

When I had my other business I spent some time down there doing construction work. Some very wealthy people here paid me to go there to do their vacation homes.