This could easily be many of us.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Precision, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

It's truly amazing how much of the US labor force is apparently illegal aliens. It's even more amazing how much all of these people who have hired these people, knowing full well that they were hiring illegal aliens, are crying over the loss. In my opinion it serves them right! Now, with all of these job openings coming up, we can get plenty of the people who are on welfare back to work and save the tax payers billions of dollars wasted to help out those who haven't been able to find work. This would help out the total economical picture of the US in short order.

Now; before I get bashed too much, I'm not against immigrant workers. I'm just not so happy about illegal workers. I'm all for anyone who wants to come to this country legally and become an American citizen (which includes flying the American flag instead of their former countries flag, and all the rest that goes with it) and live the American dream.

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Why is it that unemployed Americans (specifically welfare recipients) won't stand on the corner in the morning and look for work?

4. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

They do turflord. Haven't you seen them on the corner with the cardboard signs. And they'll work for food too.

5. Precision

I agree.

It is called entitlement. We owe them somehow. You know we need to share our success with the Lazy and unwilling and uneducated, oh uh I mean "less fortunate". And why should they. they get food stamps, spending cash, free medical and dental insurance AND they can pull in some extra cash selling weed or working some under the counter job. Workfare or No fare if you are even remotely able to work, IMO.

there are plenty of blind, amputated, ********, paralysed and whatever who somehow manage to work AND make ends meet, but tons of able bodied people can't "find" work. Puh-lease.

This year, I had a guy fresh out of jail apply for a job. He told me straight out of the gate, he wouldn't take the job for less than $12 per hour. No experience or anything. Going starting rate here is $7-8. WHATEVER.

6. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

If there were more jobs left un-filled by the illegal aliens, there would be a greater opportunity for the ones on welfare that would rather be working to make a living. For the ones that aren't willing to work and would rather sit with their hand out, make it harder for them to get welfare in the first place. I firmly believe in offering a "hand up", not a "hand out". There are definitely many who simply have fallen on hard times and need a little help, but what are they supposed to do when the get on their feet again? The taxes people pay to support those who can't find work are inhibitive for the ones who take minimum wage jobs. That's how many end up on welfare in the first place. Open the job market, reduce the tax strain, make it harder to get welfare long term, and society will be working and building a stronger nation for those willing to stand on their own two feet and be a true American.

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Taking all opinions into considerstion and accepting everyones point of view, there is one point I'd like to present. There seems to be a great demand in the service industries for low level employees. In my area if you aren't taking home at least $50,000 a year your in the street. Most eligible legal workers around me can't afford to work for $10 p.h. w/ no bennies. Most people send their kids to college so at best we have access to temp labor that really doesn't care about the job. Here's a thought, If the state would allow me to hire people and they would be responsible to report their own wages (1099) just like I have to, I think it would massively improve my ability to hire anyone.

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

IF: no one was paid "under the table" Social security could find all the illegals. And fine the business owners big $$ per illegal. Just threaten them with a new $10k fine. You will hear a giant sucking sound. our schools won't be overcrowded ($10k per year per student), our hospitals won't be full of anchor babies at our expense. You don't NEED a fence or the national guard.( big $$ saver)
    IF: They left. We wouldn't have many capable laborers. Money motivates people. ( A good man can be bought dependable) My customers would have to pay a 2006 rate and my employees would be making $16 to $20 per hour which they deserve. I'm tired of looking for employees in the $10 to $15 neighborhood. An adult illegal wants that after they've been in the country for a couple of years and they want everything they see like a kid in a candy store and the means with which to buy it ,AND send $300 per month back home to their parents.
    The world is full of people that live a much simpler life, and people with diseases and poverty. WE CAN"T FIX THEM ALL. A small percentage of them can easily bankrupt us all.
    To be 18 years old and not be a fix em all liberal , your heartless. To be 40 years old and not conservative, your stupid.

9. Precision

I have paid as much as $12.50 and hour (going rate in my area is $7.50) What did I get. The same crap. The lazy SOB's stole from me as often as they could, who milked the clock for hours and was shocked when I fired them. I even tried paying commission as a means of motivating them. Allowing them to determine what rate they wanted to make. Despite making the same money in less hours, I still couldn't get them to come in sober, on time or move with a purpose and not steal gas and anything else that wasn't tied down.

I needed 2 positions this year. I went through 20 people and never did fill the positions permanently. Average term of employment 3 weeks. Next year it is H2B visa Mexicans.

Our youth is segmented into 3 groups.
    The haves -- have a brain and have motivation and have a clue
    The Maybes -- have 2 out of the three above
    The nots -- have 1 or none of the above but have tons of unrealistic wants and usually no formal education beyond the 8th grade.

In this industry we can rarely attract anyone other than a "Not" and if we attract someone from the another category, they are usually crippled by one or more addictions.

This is reality. At least where I live.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I was being optomistic, but I see a lot of what you are talking about. The illegal ( not H2B temporary)aliens will be our next generation of entitled, lazy, uneducated social burdens, so I want them all to go home and let us deal with our problems. One problem with wasps is child support. These guys don't want to support their kids, but they want an extra $5 an hour to send to child support enforcement. They think the $12 that I pay them is $7 after withholding & child support, so they intend to do $6 worth of work.