1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

This customer is mental...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zackvbra, Aug 14, 2014.

1. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

We were out mowing a yard and the customers 6 year old daughter comes out to me while I'm mowing, and asks me if I can take her infant sister to the doctor . Well of course I asked if it was an emergency and it wasn't, it was just a check up. Well, it turns out, her father had told her to come out there and ask me that.
    So we get done and I go to get my money from the guy, and he comes to the door very disgruntled. "You wouldn't even take my daughter to the effing doctor, even when I pay you all this money." Well, it's not my responsibility to keep up with her doctors appointment, it's yours because SHES AN INFANT! Come on dude. I understand your car is broke down but you can't really expect me to take her to the doctor!
    "Well since you won't do it, I'm suspending your pay!"
    I said "okay fine, I'll see you soon." Going in the morning to file a suit against that man for the sum of $140. $50 for the work and $90 for the court fees.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Was he drunk?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Should've called the cops. That's "theft of services". Get your money and be done with that dealio.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. zackvbra

Probably. I have a zero tolerance for this bs especially when they don't pay when we did work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Georgia sounds awesome
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

Wow.... Does he have a history of drug or alcohol abuse?

7. Kbota

Kbota LawnSite Member

Ga isn't special when it comes to idiots. We all have our share. I avoid'em like the plague.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I get that you're steamed but I wouldn't fool with the lawsuit, anything under a grand just isn't worth the hassle...
    You're looking at spending DAYS in court over this...
    Getting all dressed up to go, show up in court, wait 2 hours for your case to get called, then they get a continuance?
    Just don't show up no more should be good enough.

9. zackvbra

I'm getting paid one way or another. I'll call him in the morning and if he ignores me or says I'm not getting you the money still, ill take care of that in court, that's what the legal system is for. I can make time to get the money, I own the business. My guys know my route and they can take care of the work while I'm in court.
    Nobody gets a free cut. I don't put up with bs I don't care what your situation is .
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I have a much darker side to me than some folks think.

You see, as things stand I have fair to good reason to believe that guy thinks you're going to show up again.
    It kills me what you said as you were leaving "okay fine, I'll see you soon."
    That's great, you may not have realized it but I got a chuckle out of that.

Because if it were me, as things stand I wouldn't show up no more.
    And couple of weeks from now the grass needs cutting...
    The guy's thinking, he did say "see you soon," right?

But you go talking smack about that court case, he knows right away it's time to call someone else.

One other thing...
    Remember how I always cut my grass high, like really high, like higher than most?

I look at it this way...
    I may not always get paid.
    But I usually get the last laugh.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014