This drought in Oklahoma is killing me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, May 20, 2004.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

This should be the busy season but instead it is like July out here. I have never seen grass burnt up in May before. If it keeps this up there will be no mowing at all.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the drought we are having again this year. No rain delay days. Dont you OKIES have sprinkler systems?

3. BOSS MAN

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

What are you talking about DROUGHT? Here in Tulsa everything is as green as all get out. We take care of roughly three hundred residential accounts a week and we haven't had a problem yet. Maybe the DROUGHT you're talking about is the lack of sprinkler systems. I make sure every one of my accounts has a sprinkler system installed. It's almost a waste of time to do maintenance on a property with no system. By the end of May or the first part of June, of course the yards will be burned. But here in Tulsa we've had plenty of rain so I can't complain. Each week every crew's supervisor reports to me to tell me the condition of each property. And if it isn't up to par then I make a visit to the site. Then we evaluate what the problem is from there. Also if your yards are burned it might be the lack of fertilizing. If you haven't had fertilizer applied then the grass might not have the proper nutrients to thrive. Just my two cents worth!!

4. lonnie

I dont know what your smoking but the yards do not start to burn up untill july usually. We have been 10 degrees above normal for what seems like forever and no rain plus we had a few nights in the 40's which seem to stunt the grass a little. Sure it would be nice if all my customers had sprinkler systems but they dont. I usually dont have to start using my sprinkler at all untill sometime in June.

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Rhode Island the freakin' grass just won't slow down, I cut my own lawn this Tuesday and here we are on Thursday and yes, it needs to be cut again ! Damn.....................

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Well you can have some of our rain....every time I go to an account it looks like it hasn't been mowed for weeks!! This is a crazy spring so far!!

7. lonnie

I forgot, sure fertilizer will help make it fuller and greener but all bermuda really needs is water and it will grow like crazy. We just havent had any.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Adapt, Overcome, Conquer!

If the grass is dry, why not push irrigation installation?

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Always selling park,always selling.
    Good advice.

10. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

Here in Tulsa, like Bossman says, everything green here.