1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This Grassy Weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SoloMow, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

This grassy weed invaded my front lawn this spring! What is it and what, if anything, can I do at this late date? One section of the lawn that was dominantly bermuda last year has been overtaken by hundreds of these grassy clumps. Can I attack this now with a homeowner product, or do I wait until next year and call my local pesticide company for a pre-emergent? Thanks for any identification or advice.

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Looks to me like annual blue grass. The best solution is a fall application of Pre-emergent, something like simazine. Good luck, Tony
  3. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

yeah, looks like annual bluegrass, The Pre-M in fall should help, but Poa LOVES compacted soil....another good reason to aerate.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I knew that looked familiar.... :rolleyes:
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you are in Texas, don't worry about this Poa Annua for very long.

With regular mowing at 1-1.5 inches as you should with Bermuda, the Poa will quickly die out once temperatures are consistently in the 80s.

Your problem is only temporary now, but to prevent in next year apply a pre-emergent in September.
  6. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Thanks! I mowed it very short two days ago and the temperature hit 80 degrees yesterday. With any luck it will soon be gone. I will have someone apply pre-emergent next year. :waving: