1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This guy just won't pay

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmk395, Dec 28, 2006.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I have one deadbeat left, $700 bill. How should I handle this. I have a signed contract. I never had much luck with small claims, any thoughts? He is just ignoring me now
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Thats about the only thing left to do, take him to court.
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Send him one more bill and add in that you dont want to file a claim in small claims court but will if the bill is not paid in full by Jan XX 07. Then stick to your guns and file. snow bank it driveway....oops there goes his mailbox...If you want to get nasty put oil in his swimming pool....want more let me know. Oh yea I'm for hire.
  4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure you'll get hired with that get er' dun attitude.:walking: Oil in the swimming pool. I've never herd that one before.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have a law office that handles our debt collection of this size. In the law offices they generally have new hires and they love to give them this type of thing to follow. It doesn't cost us anything....they add charge to our bill to cover their charges. Usually one letter from a law office does the trick. In the tough cases they take them to court.
  6. grassrangers

grassrangers LawnSite Member

yeah i take all of my problem people to the JOP office and they dont charge me a thing cuz im best friends with his daughter... they just bill the people for any charges so since thet didnt pay the 700 now their total is 800!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

When you say you don't have much luck with small claims...did you file on this customer or just no luck in the past?
  8. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

By the way he said "i never had luck with small claims court", I'm pretty sure that he has tried it before, but not on this customer...

I just call them a bunch and never stop contacting them no matter what... eventually they will get annoyed... but most of the poeple that owe me only owe me $100 or so...
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ever just show up at on his doorstep demanding payment? That seems to work sometimes.
  10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am struggling with a similar customer only they owe me 80 bucks. I have sent them 2 bills the last of the 2 i hand delivered and when the guy answered the door he said o my wife sent you a check. I replied i do not believe that i havent recived it, but if she could get me the check number i would appriciate it. As alwase we can all make mistakes. He said she will call you back today. That was a few weeks ago. I am gona keep hasseling them because i dont have a whole lot to do right now and its merely principal. I hate when people try to screw me over. I also mow for a lawyer and he will take care of it for me in a another month. It just pisses me off that people think they can just not pay and get away with it. If I walked into my local mower dealer and bought some parts on a monthly charge bill and didnt pay at the end of the month id be in court the next along with about a million dollars in finance charges and everything else.