This Happened To Me!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lakeview, May 14, 2003.

1. Lakeview

Lakeview LawnSite Member

This is my first post so i thought i would start it off with a real good one. I was reading all the posts about smoking on the job but if one of your employees lights up in front of a customer or prospective customer it still cant be as bad as what i experienced about ten years ago.

I was sitting at a traffic light in a neighboring town minding my own business. All of a sudden i heard someone hollering at the top of their lungs. They said "HEY YOU NASTY F@GG@T, YEAH IM TALKING TO YOU, YOU F@GG@T!!!" I looked over and it was four guys in a van pulling a trailer loaded down with lawn equipment. They were all staring at me with some seriously threatening looks. I never saw these guys in my life and i was seriously outnumbered. I didnt know what these guys were going to do next and wasnt going to take any chances so i reached over and released the snap on my pistol case should i have needed it.

The name of the company was painted right on the side of the van. It was a greenhouse/landscape company who had been in business for several decades and did business within a 40 mile radius of where they were located. A very reputable well known company. I was in a major state of ill and if necessary i was ready to go for blood but i managed to regain my composure in order to call the owner via payphone. He believed me and said he would call the crew in and asked me if i would like to come out and personally address the situation. I explained to him that it would be best for me to decline the offer because i was still in very rare form after what had happened.
    Can anyone top this story off?

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay LawnSite Member

Wow sounds like a good ol' southern family feud almost arose there. I guess it worked out best though with the without any bullets or fists thrown.

Jay

3. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Well I have never been threatened, however, I always wanted to know why other LCO's give me hard looks.

Whenever I pass another guy with lawn gear I give the short polite wave and usually get a stare down in return. I read a post this a while back but it is just so comical to me now.

Wouldn't't we have something in common to talk about? There is enough work for everyone.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Except when the scrubs step into town. :mad:

But, after about 1 month they will be gone. :) :blob3:

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

any idea why they would address you in that fashion?

GEO

6. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I do the same thing here. give the wave to other lawn guys. I think, well we are all out here working in this heat doing the same thing, why not be frindly. Not like there isn't plenty of work around for all of us. But I do get the on'e that just give you the look like you say. Some wave though. Even better when you pull up and start a lawn right the other side of the street from them. I do have one though that comes over and chats a while when I see him.

Steve

7. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

Ya know I bet I pass about 8-10 other lco on any given day. I always throw out a casual wave. there is plenty of work out there and compatition is a good thing. most guys wave back sometimes at dunkin doughnuts in the early hours there will be 4 or 5 trucks parked outside, everybody is civil.... every where you go you are going to meet some Ahole with a big mouth..I am glad you did not blast him....big trouble trust me

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

One guy went one further for me. He gave the fingers pointing at me. I thought, "what the hail is he smokin' " I just waved, chuckled, and continued blowing the sidewalk off.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

only four of em? and u felt outnumbered? man, i can take four lawnboys, before my 3rd cup of coffee

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u just ran into some drunks or idiots.
    either way they wont be around long.
    just pretend they didnt even happen.
    these people are not worth a serious
    lcos time of day.