1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

this has to be a scam...right?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Dirt Digger2, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

theres a mess of new tractors on ebay now that are buy only for around $2900...these are practically brand new..example Kubota L39 with 134 hours, john deere 4600, kubota m9540 w/cab, ac, loader...all for $2900....the products i believe are overseas...anyone ever buy a tractor this dirt cheap or is it too good to be true...also i emailed one seller on a kubota L3440 with cab, a/c, loader, scraper for $6000...he said it was located in Bulgeria and he would handle the shipping so all i paid was the $6000, he also said everything was Paypal insured up to $20k, which leads me to think its the real deal...whats going on?
  2. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

no way i would do it, 9 out of 10 times overseas, cheap to good to be true prices = scam.

rule of thumb, if its to good to be true, it probably is so just pass and keep your 2900.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

And I bet they are willing to ship it overseas to you for free too! Also, they probably say NOW that they take pay pal ect. but I'd almost gurantee, that if you bid and won, they would eamil you saying that they are out of the country or their account was broken and want the money wired to them by western union or something similiar
  4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a scam to me. When you go to the sellers Ebay store, there are no tractors there. They have mostly CDs and DVDs. Looks like someone has hijacked the sellers identity to list these tractors. It seems odd to me that the items are listed as Auction Items, and are set up in the system to be bid on, yet the comments say "Buy it Now", but you have to Email Me.

I just clicked on the "Ask seller a question" link that is on the right side fo the page and this is what I got: Looks like a Scam to me.... This was on a 2006 Kubota m9540.

5. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

yes they are scams. anytime it says to email me directly and don't use the contact seller its a scam.

HARDSCAPER68 LawnSite Member

I have some Florida property, going cheap and if buy within the next 24hours
    I will thrown in the Brooklyn bridge . Remember digger all that glitters isn't always gold
  7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i'de take you up on the florida property but i just bought 1000 acres in S. Carolina for $1 an acre..can't wait to go check it out...haha
  8. DAR57

DAR57 LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

SCAM...Most are ending within 24 hrs. All they are looking for is Your money or i.d. and password. If You click on bidding or buy it now and it will ask You to re-enter Your ID and password. Thats were they get your ID. If you have an ID with a good rating and lots of purchases they will steal it to make them selves look more REAL. I called Ebay and they told me that he had just gotten off the phone with a guy who paid $6000 for a $55,000 BMW and He cannot find it anywhere in the ebay warehouses. HMMM....................
  9. souperbee

souperbee LawnSite Member

If it's sounds too good to be true it's a scam. Although they are real tempting stay as far away from it as you can. It will save you a lot of grief.
  10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

The dead giveaways on the majority of these scams for big ticket items: out of the country, e-mail me at this address because my e-mail the seller feature is not working, seller will not provide a phone number if e-mailed, hitting a link on the items page and having it bring up a enter user name and password screen, also, on a lot of these listings if you watch this stuff enough you will recognize the pictures because they get stolen from prior valid auctions, free shipping on a large item,especially if its an overseas listing, and the number one giveaway, if they offer to sell the item for pennies on the dollar when its almost new. Use your head and you'll be fine.