1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This Honda good for homeowner?

Discussion in 'LawnSite.com Chat Rooms' started by I26, Apr 23, 2005.

1. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

I have a Scotts mower with a B & S engine and it starts tuff almost all the time. I want something nicer. I have alot of curvy landscaping and i think this mower setup would be great.

I was also looking at this mower at Lowes.

I seen an ad for a nice LawnBoy as well. The mower has to be under $600--less if possible, self-propelled, and easy to start, and not a use it one year and toss it the next. Please give me your honest advice. Thanx!!!!
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't go wrong with Honda.
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I vote for lawnboy. They undoubtly hold up to the test of time, and will be good for the next 5-10 years, maybe more. I still have mine, going on season #7, other than minor maint-no problems. Plus, it was used commercially for a 2 seasons.
  4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've had Hondas for as long as I can remember and I love them, but I really don't care for those swiveling casters on the front. I may be uncoordinated, but on a self-propelled 21" I find it much easier to maneuver with the fixed front wheels.
  5. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

well the good thing is that they are lockable. I am going to go to the local honda dealer on monday and hope that have one. I wanna check it out.
  6. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

Well i opted for a LawnBoy 10696 with the electric start and when i picked it up i noticed on a flyer that u can get 10-speed cruise control for the speed control system for $20....so i ordered that. I must say that I am impressed with the mower so far. Much better than yanking on the Briggs and Straton and pushing the mower around. Can't wait till grass is long enough to mulch now.
  7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Big mistake. You can never go wrong with anything made by Honda. I have Lawnboys and will never buy another one.
  8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

That is not a big mistake. Does the Lawnboy have a Honda engine?
  9. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

As far as look go..the new Lawn Boys at Home Depot look tough! Big ol fat tires on them!
    I dont know if they run, cut or last. Who cares? Look cool.. :p
  10. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

Actually had the exact engine as the Honda I was looking at. Plus had a 3-year warranty compared to that of the Honda.

Would have been this Honda:

or the Lawnboy I bought: http://www.lawnboy.com/productinfo/mowers/Insight_Gold/10696.html

I love the sens-a-speed it has. Plus the electric start is something i am glad for. It sure beats the Scotts push mower I have otherwise.