1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This is a 45 degree angle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Apr 14, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I don't cut many hills, but I would be impressed to see any mower handle a 45 degree.

2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that!

I've mowed many hills that I thought were much steeper than they actually were. It always seems much more dramatic when you walk "crooked" all day mowing a hill and then hit the flat stuff. Your ankles don't know what to do....

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You mow top to bottom or bottom to top.
    They got these things called retention ponds that we do.LOL!

edit: You won't do it on a morning with heavy dew!
  4. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

21" personal pace toro mower will handle that like a champ;)
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What angle is that avatar?
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You want to come mow the 5 acre 208 Swale(Storm water pond) that I do with your 21 push mower.
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

We got that and iv had a few a little steeper 40-45 degrees I will do with my lazer anything worse is WB. 60-70 degrees and yes I have some of that is pure weedwacker. Yes morning dew is a major factor to consider also turf quality and thickness if its thin don't try to mow on that angle or your rip and slide off the hill.

I do have a bagging system on my Lazer so it has front weights and thats why I can cut steep hills with out them your nutts you gota keep the front down. Only time iv ever had a problem doing a steep hill with a ZTR in this case a 35 degree hill. Was I'm cutting long wise up and down I am on my way down and run out of gas in one of my 2 tanks. That sucked no power free falling down the hill while I restarted it with the other tank as fast as I could.

Other thing to consider if you have the guts to cut a steep hill is back down it do not go forward down it because you can't stop as easily.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll do 3-4 acres of it in 1 hour.
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Start at bottom and work up.

I have cut a short bank about four passes at least that steep. Someday if I think of it I will take a pic. It works you to death though. And never wet.
  10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

YOUR pictures of mowers at impossible angles...The following is typical of mowing here...and it gets better....I'll post pics of a Hustler mowing exteme angles on Friday...thats when I mow this ghetto property for a realitor friend of mine...till then....

PS. there must be something vertical in the frame for reference.

joey on levee.jpg