THIS IS AMAZING, i need help NOWWWWWW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

ok after yesterday's posting the change from 30 weight to 40 weight oil fixed the problem, the 36 started first pull after the oil change...well now after a good cold night it won't start...its hard as hell to pull and just kinda laughs at me...how do i get it running?!? and then my 48 runs perfect but when i try to engage the blades it dies...so i took one of my blades off each spindle (been running doubles for 2 seasons) and it starts to engage and then it starts to die and if i turn them off it keeps runngin....with out any blades they will run, but that doesn't cut it...what is wrong!!!! i'm suppose to be mowing by now and this is my second day off b/c of problems....

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

First ... cover the engine over night with a blaket and a tarp this should keep it warm.....pull the spark plug ....is it black ...if so choke adjust the choke until it gets warm...then put it back to normal...if the plug is wet from fuel then your still flooding.... drop the bowl off the carb clean out the trash.. you do not have to remove the carb for this........the air screw on the carb that you played with reset it... turn it all the way in , but not tight.... then back it off 2.5 turns ... crank it fine tun it and go to work......hope this helps.

3. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

what is choke adjusting the carb?

4. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of blade engagement? Mech or clutch?

5. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

If none of the other advise has helped yet!!
    I had trbl sim. to yours after beating my head against my shop wall for 3 days, I Pulled the carb off, removed the bowl, located every hole inside the carb I could find, took carb cleaner with little tube inserted and BACKFLUSHED all holes. not sure but I believe you should spray from inside out,WHY?? cuz if it got stuck going in it will be easier to blow back rather than through.
    Mine ran great after this.
    BIG P.S ALWAYS clean air cleaner!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Follow the advice of the others about the carb. problem. Your other mower shutting off when engaging is a safety switch problem, sounds like. Check the connections. On my exmark i can unplug the white wire on the motor and it disables all the switches to make sure this is the problem. Put them back and fix them though!

7. steve

steve LawnSite Member

40 Wt. oil is thicker than 30 wt. oil. The colder the temp the thicker the oil gets. Try a 5W30 Wt. oil that will make it start easier in cold weather.

If it ran alright after you changed the oil it's probably not a carb problem.

And 1 question are you letting the engine warm up before engaging the mower deck.

8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Steve,
    I think he used 10w-40. That's what I recommened.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Try 5w-30 amsoil or mobil 1,or even 10w30.just keep an eye on the iol level more often than with 30 wt,it will burn more oil with thin oil.It should fire right up with synthetic in it.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Now that both machines are having problems (you said the bigger mower won't run unless you take the blades off the machine) it is beginning to sound like a bad gas situation since both machines are having problems. Remove all the gas from the tank of the bigger mower, remove the gas lines and blow them out, replace the fuel filter, drain the fuel from the carb and then put clean, fresh gas that you buy from a name brand gas station in it. Put the blades back on the mower and see if it's fixed. If this fixes the problem then do the same thing to your 36" mower.