1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This is crazy!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EasylyConfused, Apr 21, 2006.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

I showed up at a house for the spring cleanup. This is a house I cut last year and found what I'm guessing is close to 800lbs of sand, But I really have no idea. The city plows dropped it there. Took us nearly 30 minutes to shovel up the majority of it. Going back tomorrow to finish the job, Anyone have any suggestions as too how to clean up the rest? There is still lots more on the ground, I was just worried about overloading the truck too much!

I'm thinking a rotary broom might work well, but the ditch makes it a pain! One side is fairly steep!

Just starting out.jpg

Truck & Sand.jpg

Truck & Sand2.jpg

Remaining Sand.jpg
  2. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

what a mess! would it not be possible to use some sort of vac when the majority is gone? How did you price that, by the way? :canadaflag:
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, my suggestion would be to call the city and tell them to come and clean up thier mess. And while they're at it they need to bring in some topsoil and repair the damaged area.
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

looks like a good job for the powerbroom.
  5. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

That includes sod or whatever else it takes to repair it...I don't think I would clean up that sand unless they paid me pretty darn good for it. Call the city and tell them to send out their finest to clean the mess.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know! Looks like a swail to me. With that street sign there looks like they put it in the city right of way. You might call the county extension office or city hall and see if they had plans for that street corner. I know in my city they own 15ft from street on both sides, 6ft on sides of prop and 10ft in back.
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

They may consider that theft of city property.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I am for being proactive and helpful, but if the customer is willing to pay you, me or anyone to clean up,something on their property who are we to argue. I'll leave it up to customer to do the leg work with the city to get reimbursed.
  9. oslo

oslo LawnSite Member

I was gonna say the same thing. The homeowner (then you) will probably end up getting a bill for it. Can't imagine a city or municipality dropping material on somebodies property w/o plans for it.
  10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

He is in Canada...:canadaflag: