This is disturbing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Desoto_Lawn_Care, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Desoto_Lawn_Care

Desoto_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member
    from FL

From Craigslist:

I X'd out the numbers and website address.

------------------------------------------

Monthly Lawn Service - from $60

CALL 727-XXX-XXXX OR http://www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com/ we also offer Tree Trimming and Removal Stump Grinding Land Clearing Pressure Cleaning Property Clean Ups Junk & Debris Hauling Landscaping Etc.

------------------------------------------

From the same guy that advertises "Most Yards $20 A Cut."

I don't understand how he can do this and make money with fuel costs and maintainence, repairs, etc.

2. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Yup! That's about the going rate in brevard county, Fl. :dizzy: $60.00 per month for a 1/4 acre lot with plenty of trees, planting beds and other time consuming obstacles to slow you down. I don't get it! :hammerhead:

3. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

LOL I just saw that one, I have an ad on there too, but never a price. Then I get some guy e-mailing me asking me for accounts......plz

4. Desoto_Lawn_Care

from FL

EVEN WORSE

Yes, this is a real ad on Tampa Bay Craigslist

Feel free to look it up yourself under the labor & moving section

--------------------

LAWNS STARTING AT $ 40.00 A MONTH

WE ARE A PROFESSIONAL LAWN AND LANDSCAPE COMPANY LOOKING TO SHARE OUR BEAUTIFUL WORK WITH YOU, JUST TO NAME A FEW WE OFFER:

1. FREE ESTIMATES

2. COMPLETE LAWN CARE

3. GUTTER CLEANING

4. LANDSCAPING

5. WEEDING AND MULCHING

6. CLEANING AND HAULING

7. BUSH AND TREE TRIMMING

WE ARE LICENSED AND INSURED

INTERESTED THEN DON'T WAIT CALL TODAY ; 352-xxx-xxx OR 352-xxx-xxxx

--------------------

This is unbelievable. I'm at a complete loss of words. I don't even know what to say. Maybe someone else can?

5. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I could put $40/ month too. It doesn't mean I'll give anyone that price...

Seriously though, I don't know how people can do that to themselves (both buyer and seller). I mean why don't they just advertise "1 case of Milwaukees Best per mow" and get it over with.

6. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

The dang fool would make more money working at McDonald's . After all his expenses what is he making 12 bucks a lawn????

7. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

Well, if you don't know what to say, I've got a couple of suggestions for when you call them...... "Hey guys, I'm an LCO too and you guys are not charging enough to make money.:hammerhead: That brings down the entire industry. We should get together and talk about your pricing."
    Or....."I've got X number of lawns for you to do. If you bring your price down to $35 / month, they are all yours."

8. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Sad but very true.

The going rate around the largest developments here is $50/month.

I started this year and very quickly realized that there was no way in hell I was going to work for those rates. I changed my business plan and went after high-end properties, so far it is working out ok.

The worst part is that most of those guys don't last but by the time they go under, they have already done the damage. They condition the customers to expect those rates.

They can have them.

9. Desoto_Lawn_Care

from FL

Kevin, you know what I'm talking about. You know what kind of competition we are up against here in the Tampa Bay area. I'm not talking about established LCO's that provide quality service, I'm talking about clowns like these who come along and do a sorry job for little or no money, probably just breaking even at best, forcing the rest of us to bring our prices down.

But I've had enough. I'm not lowering prices, I'm sending a letter to all of my customers letting them know I have to RAISE prices slightly to cover fuel, maintenence and repair expenses. I have spoke to most of my customers already and they are ok with it. I made it clear that they will continue to expect the same kind of quality service with good communications PLUS I speak English!

I've taken on several new accounts because the previous LCO who came out 3 times a month for $40 did not speak any english!

10. Desoto_Lawn_Care

from FL

LOL. Or one case of Natural Light, Keystone Light, King Cobra, etc.
    Any cheap bastard would be satisfied for even just a quart of Old English.