This is funny!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Dec 9, 2007.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have this one customer who sometimes likes to mow his lawn before I come!The first time this happened i pulled up to their house and noticed it had just been cut,I could tell it had done with a riding mower cause there was discharged grass everywhere,assuming I was going to lose a client.I went up to the house and he jokingly said his wife was bored and decided to mow it,he told me to go ahead and cut it anyway! I was already cutting this yard about every 5-6 days,I asked him if he wantedmeto cut it more frequently,he said no.So I went over everything and cleaned up their mowers crappy job.This started to happen about 50% of the time,but every time he would say go ahead and do it again! After about a month of this,he told me to just keep cutting it every 5-6 days no matter what,no need to ask everytime.Talk about a great client,one who cuts the grass for you and still pays you to go over it again!!!!I almost feel guilty when I go there now!

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the money and run....we all need accounts like this

3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

That's one thing about mowing lawns that I love, you meet alot of different people. Some are so laid back and don't give a rat's ass about anything and some nit pick everything you do and nickel and dime you on everything.

4. Busa_bill

Busa_bill LawnSite Member

Just getting back into this after a 10 year stint in the oilfield.

I found that nearly every residential customer allowed me to do whatever I wanted. Not in the sense of being neglectful to their account or doing a lousy job, but in the sense of following all of my recommendations. Color, mulch, fertilization, new install - whatever I thought the yard needed. It was easy!
    And maybe I was lucky, but I never had a deadbeat customer.

BUT,,,I never had someone mow their yard for me!!!
    That has to take the cake.

And I found one thing to be true. Everyone here is a pro and I'm sure you all know.....but there are two kinds of people:

those who want to keep their property looking good,
    and those who want to keep it from looking bad

knowing which type of person you're dealing with will go a long way in understanding your limitations with the account.

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't top that one either. I do have a nice elderly couple that wants me to service their yard every week all year even if it doesn't need it. They pay per visit, not monthly. During the fall when leaves are falling, they always blow all the leaves away from the fence and from against the house and shed. All I have to do is suck them up with the riding mower blow the driveway and go....20 min tops. I thought that was nice of them. They probably save me 10-15 min. of work, but it probably takes them an hour to do it.

6. cutemhigh

cutemhigh LawnSite Member
    from 44060

I had a guy who would lawn boy the day before..just the front..id hit it with a 48 to put lines in it..cake..

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

idk about this one, drives me nuts, for one it doesn't make sense.

Why hire a contractor if you're going to do it yourself in between, my attitude is you don't need my services (except perhaps IF ooops ok today I can't do it now that guy hopefully swings by for the 5th time in 3 weeks now he can cut it)... Yeah, I stop by the first time and knock on the door, if it's not a matter of frequency or a simple solution I let them know: When you do that it sends the message that my services are no longer needed...

Of course it's always "nono it's not like that," so I say it again "When I stop by and the lawn is already cut it sends out the message that my services here are no longer required."
    Usually it's over shortly after that...

I have 1 or 2 where that's happened and not since then, so long I keep them on a pretty tight schedule.
    But that's just the thing too, I am not starting the truck unless I got at least $100 worth of work on the schedule.
    Now I'll be if I gotta run out to do that ONE lawn just to make sure they don't do it, if they can't wait 2 days I gtg.
    Besides, if it gets out of hand because of this then it is MY problem.

I swear, it just never ends...

8. Angel Garcia

Angel Garcia LawnSite Member

that happen to me once, the guy call me and ask me how much money woudl cost to trimm they property ( I assumed he was talking the mowing) so I told my bit, he say yes and told me to cut it on a Friday, so I went Friday and the lawn was already cut, so I called him and asked if he still need the cut, and he told me to go ahead and cut it, so looking at the yard the only thing left to do was weed eating so I did it then next friday the same thing, so I realized he was talking weed eater only. hahhaha

9. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Sounds like he likes the way the lawn looks after you get done than when wifey gets done. He needs you to clean up the mess from wifey.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, take the money and run !!