this is how charging hrly can kill you

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i timed myself, i trimmed: 2 arbs, 5 gold thread cypres, 4 blue girl holly, pruned and trimmed one snow ftn cherry, trimmed 4 crimson barberry. the total was 22 minutes. add another 10 min for cleanup=about 32 minutes. now, at an hourly rate of even $75 an hr, i'm at about $39 for the job. this is where hourly will kill you. my trimmers cost $675. do i really even want to start them for $39? and the more experienced you are, the less you make?

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Bobby, 39 bucks would be 2 to 2.5 hours worth of shrub trimming in my area. Jersey, here I come!

3. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

are u out of your mind 39 bucks for 2hours work. anyway this is why we should bid by the job. and i hear sometimes, "Oh, thats way out of range" and i always out of range of what and they say what the people doing it now get. and i say, and this is what everyone should say, that is not out of my range that is what i am willing to do it for and will be happy to do a good job and not try to do a rush job on your yard. and if thats what the other guy is getting let me have his number so i can hire him to do my work and i will still make money.

So if qualitylawncare4u if u ever want a vacation or relocate to florida look me up i got about 3 days of hedges i will give you 25 bucks an hour to do them for me.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

Nope, not out of my mind. Thats why I have just about completely eliminated shrub work for me. The same people who will pay you to do a yard at a decent price expect shrubs to be done for less than minimum wage. The few I have left pay what I demand which is 40 bucks an hour (which is good for my area, not for some of you others though).Beside, I hate shrub work bad enough to dont care whether I get it or not.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW, their are/were times I would be extremely happy at 25 per hour!

6. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Bobby when you get those kinds of jobs pretend you are working for the man and take your time.

then bill accordingly

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why I have a 1 hr minimum for any job I do.

8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Well what did you make ????????? 200 ????????????????

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have charged by the hour and by the job (depends on what the job is) One thing I took it in the shorts on once and only once was not having a minimum. I put that policy into effect right away. Had a bring top soil (about 6 wheelbarrows full) grass seed and starter fert request, it was so small I didn't bother to measure it, charge $250, time to complete 1.5 hour. I've had much larger seeding jobs that when bid came out only about $200 more than this one and were much larger. Thing is I don't mind doing the small jobs if you don't mind paying me, if you do simple get another estimate.

Not trying to be hardcase here but I'm not running a charity and if you want me to mess around with a $40-$50 dollar job when I could be on to something more profitable then you will pay the minimum, period.

-Geoff

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Hourly is for employees. Small job like that would have been quoted at about $100. Take it or leave it. The reason so many people don't like shrub work is because they're scared to charge for it.
    I like shrub work. payup

Crawdad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.