this is how you train a pita customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had this customer a couple years back. she was a real royal pain in my butt. got her lawn looking great, kept it perfect, but she was too much for me to tolerate, i just stopped showing up. this year she calls me back. says the last 58 companies she had there weren't doing it right, the place looks like hell, can i PLEASE come back. i say ok, but these are the rules, follow them, and you stay on our schedule, don't bend or break them, or you are once again history. ok fine. getting the place back in shape, and here we go again with the b*tching. "i want my lawn cut on fridays, not wed or thurs. " i say , "look, we do your neighbors on wed or thurs, take it or leave it." she's moaning, i don't want to deal with it, i say, "ok, i'll tell you what. i'll do it on fridays." got an ear to ear smile and saw those pearly white coffee stained dentures. cut her neighbors on wed, skipped her that week. cut her neighbors the next wed, skipped her again, showed up on SUNDAY at 8 am. she freaked. the following week cut her neighbors on wed, skipped her that week. skipped her the next 3 weeks. this is the phone call i got this morning, "bob, this is mrs. anal, look, my lawn is so high, that the dog won't even go out in the yard. i get the messege loud and clear bob, you win. put me on for steady wednesdays." and THAT, is how you train a pita client. :cool:
  2. jpeters

jpeters LawnSite Member

That is GREAT!!!!

I LIKE THAT!!!
  3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Bobby, I think only in NJ or NY you can get away with that type of stuff. I can only speak for my neck of the woods I guess, but I know if we pulled something like that here, we'd be gone for good no matter how good of an LCO you are. I understand you laid down some rules, but then to tell her you'd do it on Fridays then not show up just to make a point...wouldn't work here. Nor would I care to mess with customers that way, I'd tell them I have an opening on Wed. when I'm in their neighborhood, if that works, great, if not, sorry. Then maybe we can look at it next season if it doesn't work out for now.

But hey, it works for you, more power to you Bobby. Seems like you keep the family fed and pay the bills. If it ever ends up you have to close up shop you can always get a job as a corporate trainer somewhere. :D

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

OMG! THAT IS AWFUL!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

No soup for you ! BOb, do your customers call you the Lawn Nazi?
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, they call me MR. GEDD, and i suggest you do the same
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice bg.

Some people do in fact need to be "taught" and "explained" how things are for us...but when you get to be my age and been doing this full time for as long as I have, you're more inclined to just "86 em". I'll drop a pita customer like a day-old doughnut...period

Dunno how many times I have said, "see ya"