1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This is just to much.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawn Boy, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Lawn Boy

Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

This season I put a bid into a local factory that has a great location and a nice property. Last year they paid their security gaurds 14 year old son to mow it. He mowed it with a 42 Craftsman mower. Thats all fine, but the thing is he was horrible at what he did, it took him three days to mow, sometimes he wouldnt even mow the whole thing and I was told he only trimmed once a month. He charged them $300 a week.

I sent a bid stateing that I had insurance, I would bag it, stripe it, edge it, trim it, everything I could say to persuade them I said. I put my bid real low so that I could establish a good business and get some references. I sent it for $185 a week. I really felt good about it and thought that I was going to get it for sure. Sure enough I was the lowest bidder by far, but you wanna take a guess at what happend? Miraculously, he was $10 under me the next time I heard. I guess its all about who you know.
  2. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thats rough, can't win em all.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

It's not WHAT you know, its WHO you know.
  4. Now your learning, it aint always price.
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Is a $300 job really worth $185???????????
  6. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

You will be glad the security officers son got the job along about August. If he did a crappy job at 300.00, it will be down right offensive at 185.00.

Like Shuter said.......Was it worth 185.00?????

7. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, that kid has a pretty good racket goin on, figure $2k for the rider and he was making $300 a week, not bad 7 weeks nad the mower is paid off, rest into bank or parents drug habit
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

where did this come from? Did your parents get you into business to support their drug habit?
  9. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

good grief, just trying to be funny

around here ya find kids from the projects doing odd jobbs so they can go get a 8ball or a dime bag to split with their parents, but then again I doubt you have alot of that in florida
  10. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always said that connections are the key to life. If you got them you will go far if not you better be pretty dang smart or become populer quick!